Finding newspaper articles
You can find newspaper articles by searching through selected newspapers or across the full text of multiple newspapers in our subscription databases.
Choose 'News articles' from the options above the catalogue search box.
You can limit your search to a particular paper (or papers) by entering their ISSN (International Standard Serial Number) plus your search terms.
For example, to find articles about Adani in The Courier Mail (Brisbane) (2001–) ISSN 1322-5235, type in '1322-5235 Adani'.
Note: articles contain text only; pictures, advertisements and personal notices are not included.
Accessing newspaper articles in the Library & from home
If you are in the Library, you don’t need to sign in to access the full text of articles. From your list of results, choose a 'Full text available online' link. A new window or tab will open with links to the article.
If you're at home, you can only access the full text if you are a registered State Library member living in Victoria. When you click one of the links to open your article, you'll be asked to sign in using your State Library membership barcode and family name, and to agree to the conditions of access.
Our research guide on how to find items in newspapers will give you more tips.
Ways to find other articles
To find articles from journals and magazines, choose 'New search', then 'Articles' from the drop-down list next to the search box.
To search for more articles, ebooks, newspapers and streamed audio and video, have a look at the full range of eresources we offer. You can also use the A–Z databases list to explore the Library's subscription databases.
We also have a large collection of journals and magazines that are only available in print format. You can search for these titles in the catalogue, but you won't be able to search for the articles within the journals without physically browsing through copies.
Featured Newspapers search
The Featured Newspapers search lets you swiftly search across curated groups of titles, such as ‘Australian Daily Newspapers’ or ‘United Kingdom Newspapers’. These featured collections will help focus your search and return more related results.
Go to the news articles search page. You then have two options:
- select one of the 'Featured newspaper' groups from the bottom of the page, or
- select ‘Featured newspapers’ from the drop-down menu in the search bar, then select a group from the drop-down contextual menu (beside the magnifying glass search icon).
You can then refine your results to specific newspapers by using the ‘Journal title’ filter on the right-hand-side of the results list.
Featured Newspapers groups & titles
Australian major daily newspapers
- The Advertiser (Adelaide) (1996-)
- The Age (1991-)
- The Australian Financial Review (2013-)
- The Australian (1996-)
- The Courier Mail (Brisbane) (2001-)
- The Daily Telegraph (2001-)
- Herald Sun (2001-)
- The Mercury (Hobart) (1996-2004, 2009-)
- Sydney Morning Herald (1996- )
Australian Sunday newspapers
- Sun Herald (Sydney) (1987-)
- Sunday Age (1992-)
- Sunday Herald Sun (2001-2015)
- Sunday Tasmanian (2001-2014, 2017-)
- Sunday Telegraph (Sydney) (2001-)
- Sunday Territorian (2001-2004, 2009-)
- The Sunday Mail (Adelaide) (2001-2014)
- The Sunday Mail (Brisbane) (1996-2015)
Australian regional newspapers
- The Courier (Ballarat) (2000-)
- Bendigo Advertiser (2011-)
- Geelong Advertiser (2009-)
- The Cairns Post (2004-)
- The Canberra Times (1996, 1998-2002, 2005-)
- The Examiner (Launceston) (2011-)
- Gold Coast Bulletin (2004-)
- Ilawarra Mercury (Wollongong) (1997-)
- Newcastle Herald (1997-)
- Northern Territory News (2009-)
United Kingdom newspapers
- Daily Mail (1992-1994, 1996-)
- Sunday Times (1985-)
- Daily Telegraph (UK) (2000-)
- The Guardian (1990-)
- The Independent (1992-)
- The Irish Times
- The Observer (1993-)
- The Scotsman (1997-)
- The Spectator
- The Times (1788-)
North American newspapers
- Boston Globe (1980-)
- Globe & Mail (Canada) (1977-)
- Los Angeles Times (1985-)
- The New York Times (1857-)
- Toronto Star (2008-)
- The Washington Post (1980-)
- Wall Street Journal (1984-)
- USA Today (1987-)