Our conservation experts have produced a series of information guides to help you care for and conserve your books, newspapers, artworks, paper documents and photographs. These downloadable PDFs cover topics from pests and mould to storage and framing.
If you need further advice – on privately held materials or public collections – please contact us using our Ask a librarian service.
Australian Institute for the Conservation of Cultural Material Inc. (AICCM) is the professional organisation for Australian conservators. This website is a great resource for information about collection care. It includes a visual glossary of different types of damage and deterioration, as well as a directory of conservators in private practice within Australia.
- Caring for photographs (pdf,47.06 KB)
- Caring for works on paper (pdf,46.78 KB)
- Dealing with mould (pdf,53.24 KB)
- Dealing with pests (pdf,51.62 KB)
- Caring for family history documents (pdf,45.64 KB)
- Framing artworks on paper (pdf,43.9 KB)
- Packing and storing books (pdf,41.81 KB)
- Storing newspapers (pdf,42.2 KB)