Each year we welcome over a million visitors to our glorious heritage building in Melbourne's CBD. If you're planning a visit, here's when we're open, how to get here and our printable Library map (pdf, 4 MB).
Library opening hours
During our initial partial reopening from 19 November, some Library spaces will open for two sessions a day, seven days a week:
- Morning session: 10am to 1.30pm
- Afternoon session: 2.30 to 6pm.
These spaces are open to pre-book online:
- The Information Centre
- La Trobe Reading Room
- Redmond Barry Reading Room (Level 3, for pre-ordered collection use only)
- The Ian Potter Queen's Hall (Level 3 only)
- Pauline Gandel Children's Quarter (ground floor only)
These spaces are open for walk-up visitors on the day:
- Cowen Gallery, with the Ask a librarian desk
- Create Quarter, with free public computers
- Hansen Hall
These spaces are open to members to pre-book:
- StartSpace: book using the link in your post-induction email
- Friends lounge: book using the link in your member newsletter or call 03 8664 7000 and quote your membership number
These spaces are open by arrangement, if you contact our Ask a librarian service to make an appointment:
- Newspapers and Family History Reading Room
- Heritage Collections Reading Room
Mr Tulk cafe is open seven days a week and can be entered from Entry 2 on La Trobe Street.
Galleries aren't open yet but you can continue to explore our galleries and exhibitions online.
Readings bookshop and Guild cafe will reopen in early 2021.
Please read our Frequently Asked Questions to find out more about available services, spaces, collection access and pre-bookings.
Public holidays in 2020
Australia Day: open until 6pm, Monday 27 January.
Labour Day: open until 6pm, Monday 9 March.
Easter period: closed Good Friday, 10 April.
Open as usual Saturday 11 April and Sunday 12 April.
Open until 6pm, Monday 13 April.
Anzac Day: open until 6pm, Thursday 25 April.
Queen's Birthday: open until 6pm, Monday 8 June.
AFL Grand Final: open as usual Friday 25 September.
Melbourne Cup: open until 6pm, Tuesday 3 November.
Christmas period: open until 6pm, Thursday 24 December (Christmas Eve).
Closed Friday 25 December (Christmas Day) to Sunday 3 January.
We reopen until 6pm on Monday 4 January 2021.