Planning your visit
You no longer need to pre-book your visit or select a space. Simply register your details on arrival using your smart phone and the Victorian Government QR Code Service.
You can enter any time between 10am to 6pm daily.
The open access collection is available for browsing. Accessing other collections must be requested in advance.
For collection items in onsite storage, order by 4pm for next day pick-up from 10am.
For collection items in offsite storage, order by 4pm for pick-up in two working days from 10am. For example, order by 4pm Monday for pick-up from 10am Wednesday. All orders placed on Friday, Saturday and Sunday by 4pm will be available for pick-up from 10am Tuesday.
Please search our catalogue to request items.
Heritage Collections Reading Room
Visitors to the Heritage Collections Reading Room need to book in advance and collections also need to be ordered ahead. Please make an appointment by contacting Ask a librarian or calling 03 8664 7002.
Conditions of Entry
To ensure the health and safety of our visitors and staff, the Library is complying with Victorian Government guidelines.
When you visit the Library you are agreeing to abide by our Terms & conditions of entry and COVID-safe guidelines listed below. Please note these conditions may change based on advice from the Victorian Chief Health Officer.
- Masks are now mandatory. All visitors to the Library must wear a face mask at all times.
- Please stay at home if you are feeling unwell and do not enter the building. Visitors showing signs of illness may be asked to leave by Library staff or security.
- For contact tracing purposes, all visitors must register their details using the Victorian Government QR Code service. Library staff will ask to see a completed registration before you can enter the building.
- Maintain safe physical distancing of 1.5 metres at all times, even with accompanying family or friends.
- Please only sit in marked seats to help maintain safe social distancing from other visitors, even if you are visiting with family or friends.
- Visitors who do not comply with physical distancing measures may be asked to leave by Library staff or security.
- We understand that this is a challenging time for everyone; however, aggressive and/or abusive behaviour will not be tolerated and anyone exhibiting this behaviour may be asked to leave the Library by staff or security.
- Please report any behaviour that is not in line with these conditions to a member of Library staff or security (including any safety, social distancing, or hygiene issues).
- Please abide by any additional directions that Library staff or security may give you during your visit. They are there to assist you and to ensure that everyone is supported and safe during their visit.
Thank you for your cooperation!
State Library Victoria is required to collect visitor names and a current contact number in accordance with Victorian Chief Health Officer advice (which may change from time to time).
Providing these details is a condition of entry for all Library visitors. This information is collected using the Victorian Government’s QR Code Service and is held by Service Victoria, Victorian Government’s customer service agency. Service Victoria will only use or disclose your check-in information for coronavirus (COVID-19) contact tracing. Data will be deleted after 28 days. Your details won’t be used for marketing or other purposes. To learn more about the Victorian Government QR Code Service visit service.vic.gov.au/check-in.
The Library uses CCTV camera surveillance throughout various areas and images are monitored and recorded for the purpose of crime prevention and public safety. Retention periods can vary due to changes in system requirements but they are managed at all times in accordance with applicable Commonwealth and Victorian legislation, as well as Australian standards which govern the use, management, and disclosure of data for privacy, public safety and security reasons.
State Library Victoria manages your information in accordance with privacy legislation and other applicable laws and will only use the information for the purposes for which it was collected.
Please note: failure to provide contact details will result in refusal to enter the Library.
For more information
Please read our Helpful things to know to help plan your visit.