Planning your visit
The Library spaces are open daily from 10am to 6pm. View our opening hours.
Visitors to the Library no longer need to show their vaccination status upon entry.
Registration is required to attend the Library’s on-site programs, including school visits. For information about our ticketing policy and attending an event at the Library, see our Conditions of sale of tickets to Library events.
In accordance with our COVID-safe guidelines, the following measures are in place:
- Hand hygiene facilities available at the entrance/exit to the Library and in key locations
- Regular cleaning of all hard surfaces in the Library spaces throughout the day
- All visitors are encouraged to maintain safe physical distancing of 1.5 metres, as per Victorian health guidance
- Masks are no longer mandatory for visitors but are recommended, particularly when physical distancing isn't possible (such as inside lifts).
Read our Frequently asked questions.
Conditions of Entry
As always, the health and safety of our staff and visitors is our top priority, and we are strictly complying with the Victorian Government public health directions to protect everyone who comes through our doors.
When you visit the Library you are agreeing to abide by our Terms & conditions of entry and COVID-safe guidelines listed below. Please note these conditions may change based on advice from the Victorian Chief Health Officer.
- Please stay at home if you are feeling unwell and do not enter the building. Visitors showing signs of illness may be asked to leave by Library staff or security.
- We understand that this is a challenging time for everyone; however, aggressive and/or abusive behaviour will not be tolerated and anyone exhibiting this behaviour may be asked to leave the Library by staff or security.
- Please report any behaviour that is not in line with these conditions to a member of Library staff or security (including any safety, social distancing, or hygiene issues).
- Please abide by any additional directions that Library staff or security may give you during your visit. They are there to assist you and to ensure that everyone is supported and safe during their visit.
Thank you for your cooperation!
The Library uses CCTV camera surveillance throughout various areas and images are monitored and recorded for the purpose of crime prevention and public safety. Retention periods can vary due to changes in system requirements but they are managed at all times in accordance with applicable Commonwealth and Victorian legislation, as well as Australian standards which govern the use, management, and disclosure of data for privacy, public safety and security reasons.
State Library Victoria manages your information in accordance with privacy legislation and other applicable laws and will only use the information for the purposes for which it was collected.
For more information
Please read our Helpful things to know to help plan your visit.