Terms & conditions of public entry
Welcome to State Library Victoria (SLV). We hope you enjoy your visit.
By entering SLV Premises, you agree to be bound by the following Terms and Conditions of Public Entry. These Terms and Conditions are made pursuant to s52 (By-laws) of the Libraries Act 1988 (Vic).
(a) To ensure the safety and enjoyment of all visitors and staff on SLV Premises.
(b) To regulate admission or removal of any person from SLV Premises.
(c) To ensure the protection and management of SLV Premises and its contents.
While on SLV Premises, you must not:
- Eat or drink in areas unless it is designated that you can.
- Smoke tobacco or any other substance.
- Leave baggage or personal items unattended.
- Bring animals onto the Premises except a guide dog or registered assistance animal.
- Bring or consume your own alcohol or enter under the influence of illegal drugs.
- Bring into or possess any prohibited object or article.
- Without approval, enter into restricted areas.
- Without approval, display any advertising material, offer for sale any article or item, conduct a commercial business, solicit money from individuals, or recruit or attempt to recruit membership in any type of organisation, for commercial or non-commercial purposes.
While on SLV Premises, you must:
- Treat all visitors and staff with courtesy and respect.
- Comply with relevant laws, policies and procedures published by SLV.
- Conduct yourself in a manner which, in the reasonable opinion of the SLV, does not disrupt, interfere, offend or obstruct other persons or operations. Abuse directed at visitors or staff will not be tolerated.
- Not remove, damage, destroy or interfere with any collection material, exhibit, displays, building and equipment.
- Wear appropriate footwear at all times.
- Be supervised by an adult if you are under the age of 12 years.
- At all times, supervise any children (including students) for whom you are responsible.
- Comply with any reasonable request, signage or special conditions in relation to your entry, continued presence, or use of the Premises and its contents.
- Comply with any instructions or restrictions on use of equipment.
SLV reserves the right to:
- Inspect or determine the size of any baggage, luggage, article or object, however described, that is brought onto SLV Premises.
- Deny entry or exclude or remove any person from the Premises, or prohibit entry indefinitely or for a specified period.
- Record events and activities on SLV Premises for reporting, archival and promotional purposes.
- Use Security Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) cameras throughout the Premises.
To the full extent permitted by the law, you release, discharge and indemnify SLV from all claims and any loss, damage or injury whatsoever caused, arising from your attendance on SLV Premises, except where such a claim arises as a result of a negligent or wilful act or omission by SLV. If any of these Terms and Conditions are deemed illegal or unenforceable, the offending part will be disregarded and not affect the remaining parts.
- "Authorised Officer" means any person duly authorised by the Library Board of Victoria (trading as State Library Victoria).
- “Premises" means any land or buildings managed or controlled by SLV.
- "Opening hours" means the hours during which the Premises, or any part, are designated as open.
- "You” refers to you, or any person with you, including any dependents or children under your supervision.
Approved by the Library Board of Victoria on 14 August 2019.