Frequently asked questions
- Visiting the Library
- COVID-Safe measures
- Vaccination status requirements
- Exhibitions, programs & school visits
- COVID-19 digital certificate troubleshooting
Visiting the Library
What are the Library opening hours?
The Library is open daily from 10am to 6pm. View our opening hours.
Are all entries to the Library open?
Yes, visitors can enter the Library through any of our entries.
Do I need to book to visit the Library?
Bookings are not needed to visit the Library. Access to the Heritage Collections is by appointment only.
How do I access collection items in onsite storage?
Collection delivery times are 11am, 1pm, 5pm daily. Requests close one hour prior to delivery, and Heritage Collections items will be available from two business days following your request.
What COVID-Safe measures are in place?
- Hand hygiene facilities are available at the entrance/exit to the Library and in key locations.
- There is regular cleaning of all hard surfaces in the Library spaces throughout the day.
- All visitors are encouraged to maintain 1.5 metres from each other, as per Victorian Health guidance.
What happens if I am displaying symptoms?
If you are displaying symptoms, we ask you to not visit the library. In line with the conditions of entry, anyone displaying symptoms will be denied entry or asked to leave the Library.
Do I need to wear a face mask?
Masks are no longer mandatory for visitors but are recommended, particularly when physical distancing isn't possible (such as inside lifts).
Vaccination status requirements
Visitors to the Library no longer need to show their vaccination status upon entry.
Exhibitions, programs & school visits
Are programs running onsite now the Library is open?
We have both onsite and online programs running. For up-to-date information about our programs, events and exhibitions, please visit our What's On page.
Do I need to book to attend a program at the Library?
Yes. Priority access will be given to registered attendees. On-the-spot registration will be permissible if the venue/program capacity allows.
What measures has the Library taken to ensure its onsite programs are COVID-safe?
State Library Victoria has developed a detailed visitor engagement and ticketing process to ensure COVID-19 safety controls during a visit to the Library.
The following guidelines apply for tours, programs and exhibitions:
- Proof of online registration for program attendance is required for all programs. Priority access to registered attendees.
- Drop-in attendance will involve on-the-spot registration and is permissible if venue/program capacity allows (with the exception of guided school visits).
- Visitors will be advised of the Library’s entry points and venue/gallery locations as part of the booking process and in reminder emails.
- Some programs will have staggered timed entry and arrival times to manage visitor capacity.
- Library event staff will manage socially distanced queuing systems and entry to program venues.
- Venue inventory will be subject to a regular cleaning schedule pre- and post-event.
What measures has the Library taken to ensure its interactive exhibitions are COVID-safe?
The Library has undertaken a risk assessment and created an action plan that will enable visitors to interact with elements of exhibitions that are designed for interactivity. This includes:
- Allocation of hand sanitisers at, or near, interactive components, and staff at entrances and throughout exhibitions encouraging hand hygiene.
- Increased cleaning frequency (interactives are to be wiped down at least once per hour).
- A reminder of public health measures will be included in the ticketing sales process, visible on the ticket or as an email reminder.
Can I bring my school group to the Library for an excursion?
Our on-site school offer (both self-guided and facilitated programs) has returned, with bookings essential.
Students are more than welcome to access the Library individually, in accordance with our COVID-safe reopening.
Please read these FAQs in conjunction with our Conditions of sale of tickets to Library events.
How do I book tickets?
You can book online for most events right here on the State Library Victoria website.
Visit the What’s On section of our website, find the page of the event you’d like to attend, browse the dates and times available and click on ‘Tickets’ to book.
Sign up to our e-news for details on new events and exhibitions as they are announced.
Can I get a refund for my ticket if I am unable to attend or accidentally booked the wrong session?
We do not offer refunds, exchange or transfers on our free or paid ticketed events, except in limited circumstances as stated in our Conditions of sale of tickets to Library events.
I’ve tested positive for COVID-19 and can no longer attend the event. Can I get a refund?
We will offer refunds if you are required to quarantine or isolate under current public health orders, including if you have tested positive for COVID-19, you are awaiting test results, or you are experiencing COVID-like symptoms. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read our Conditions of sale of tickets to Library events for more information.
I am immunocompromised and the COVID situation has changed since I booked my ticket. I don’t feel comfortable attending anymore. Can I get a refund?
If you have been directed or recommended to self-isolate by a health professional due to current COVID conditions, contact email@example.com.
I’m currently in self-isolation as I was a close contact of someone who tested positive for COVID-19. Can I reschedule my ticket?
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be able to arrange a refund, exchange or transfer subject to capacity.
I’m running late for my designated entry time. Will I be denied entry?
Admission is subject to capacity. If you are late for a timed session, you will be given entry to the next available session, capacity permitting.
Will I be permitted into the event without my ticket?
If you’re unable to access your ticket on the day, a member of staff will be able to help you. Please refer to our terms and conditions for more information about attending library events.