'Land selection files are a fantastic resource if you want to find out how people lived up to 150 years ago.'
About this video
In this 2015 Family History Feast presentation, Daniel Wilksch discusses the Battle to Farm website. This valuable resource makes accessible the government records of thousands of returned WWI soldiers who leased farming land across Victoria between 1919 and 1935.
Daniel discusses the different types of records that can be searched for on the website, and offers suggestions on how visitors can add value to the site, including transcribing handwriting, adding comments and uploading documents.
This video includes two short and fascinating interviews with descendants of soldier settlers.
Hear more from Family History Feast 2015
- Don Grant Lecture: Bruce Scates on WWI repatriation records
- Steven Kafkarisos on the Library's WWI collection
- David Holloway on the 4th Light Horse Regiment
- Grace Baliviera on WWI records at the National Archives of Australia
- Kirsty Harris on finding information about Australian nurses in WWI
Daniel Wilksch is the Coordinator of Digital Projects at the Public Record Office Victoria.