Wi-fi, internet & printing
We provide free, high-speed wireless access in all of the Library’s public areas.
To connect, select the State Library Victoria network and open your web browser – the Library’s wi-fi access page will appear. Complete our quick, two-step log-in process and you will be redirected to the Library’s homepage. You are now free to start browsing.
The Library has plenty of AC power points and you can also print from your device using the Library's wireless print and copy service.
The wireless service will automatically disconnect if your device is idle for 30 minutes. Please note that the Library is unable to provide technical support for wireless users. For more details, see our wi-fi-specific conditions.
For more information on using the Library's wi-fi, visit the Connecting to our wi-fi page.
Using our PCs
PCs for general internet browsing are available in the Information Centre. Bookings can be made at the reservation PC nearby for a 20-minute or 45-minute session.
Please note that our PCs do not run Microsoft Office software. In order to edit Word or Excel documents we advise that you use an online client such as Google Docs or Microsoft Office Online. You are still able to view and print Microsoft Office documents.
Print, copy & scan
To print from a PC, you first need to add credit to your Library membership card or purchase a Bear Solutions copy card from the Copy Centre, which is in the Information Centre, next to the Family History & Newspapers Room. Copy cards cost 30 cents.
To add credit to your Library card or copy card, use the card cashier machine in the Copy Centre.
You can use your Library or copy card to:
- print in colour or black and white from a Library PC
- copy printed material in colour or black and white
- scan printed material to a USB drive.
Black-and-white printers are located:
- in the copy centre in the Information Centre
- at the back of the Redmond Barry Reading Room
- in the entrance foyer to the La Trobe Reading Room
- in the Family History & Newspapers Room
- in the Heritage Collections Reading Room.
There is one colour printer in the Information Centre copy centre.
To find these locations, download a Library map below the 'More to explore' heading at the bottom of this page.
Note: Your print job will not print out until you release it – this can be done at any of the Library printers listed above. Your print job will be saved on the server for 12 hours. As your account won't be charged until your print job is released, you can send your document to the server, then add credit to your card before printing.
Printing from a Library PC
- At the PC: click 'Print' or ‘File>Print’ to bring up the 'print' window. Click 'OK' to proceed.
- Click in the 'Print Code' box and log in by entering the print code on your copy card or your Library card number (shown under the barcode). Click 'OK' on this screen and the next.
- Change the print settings if necessary and click 'OK' to send the print job to a printer.
Printing from your own device
- Save the document you wish to print as an uploadable file. Formats accepted include Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint and Excel); PDF files; BMP, TIFF, JPG and GIF files; and web pages saved as screen shots in a Word document.
- Go to the Bear Solutions Wireless printing page and log in by entering the print code on your copy card or your Library card number (shown under the barcode). Click on the 'Login' button.
- Click 'Browse' to select the document that you wish to print, then click 'Open' and 'Upload'. Click 'Next' on this screen and the next, then click ‘Print’. Confirm your print request by clicking on the 'Finished' button.
At the printer/copier
- Go to any Library printer to release and collect your black-and-white printouts. For colour printing, go to the copy centre in the Information Centre.
Copying and scanning
- If scanning, insert your USB drive in the right-hand side of the copier.
- Swipe your Library card or copy card through the blue Bear Solutions card reader attached to the right-hand side of the copier, select 'Do Copying/Scanning' and follow the prompts.
Note: If you leave the copier idle for more than a minute, it will log you out. Just swipe your card again to log back in.
- Black-and-white copy or print: A4 $0.15, A3 $0.25
- Colour copy or print: A4 $2, A3 $4
- Scan to USB drive: A4 & A3 $0.10
- Black-and-white copies from microform: A4 & A3 $0.50
- Copy card $0.30
Visitors to the Library must comply with special handling instructions or conditions specified by Library staff, the Commonwealth Copyright Act 1968, the Victorian Information Privacy Act 2000, the Library's by-laws and any intellectual property rights of the State Library of Victoria.
If you're unsure if you can photocopy an item, ask the staff at an information desk for advice.
Making copies with your camera in collection areas
Certain restrictions apply to making copies via your camera in the Library.
- Due to copyright and privacy restrictions related to the Australian Manuscripts and Pictures Collections, you will need the authorisation of the Collection Manager before copying collection items.
- Restrictions also apply to copying Heritage Collections Reading Room material such as pictures, maps, rare books and manuscripts. For details, please ask Heritage Collection staff or phone 03 8664 7009.
- In some cases you can only copy materials with your camera under the supervision of Library staff, and a supervision fee will be charged.
- Staff may withdraw permission to use a camera in the Library at any time.
Please note that you cannot reproduce any copies you make (in print or online) without our permission.