How to teach Blak literature: Blak & Bright Teacher PD, 2022
In March 2022, Blak & Bright First Nations Literary Festival hosted its first-ever education day in partnership with State Library Victoria. Following a day-long event for secondary students, a teacher PD session was held in the State Library Victoria Theatrette to discuss, explore, listen and learn about ‘how to teach Blak literature’.
We invite you to listen to this conversation featuring writers Bruce Pascoe and Thomas Mayor, along with educators Edie Wright, Lynette George and Carmel Byrne. It is moderated by author and academic Kelly Gardiner.
Did you know that State Library Victoria has a range of resources that can be accessed remotely as part of your free access membership?
We have listed some recommended reading for this event below, don’t forget that you can count professional reading from journals and research papers towards your PD for VIT registration if it aligns with the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers (APST).
Want to keep up to date with our offers for teachers and students? Why not subscribe to our Education News so you can stay in the loop with our latest programs and events.
Recommended sources for further reading:
- BlackWords provides access to a vast record of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander writers and their publications.
- Informit Indigenous collection includes a number of titles such as The Australian Journal of Indigenous Education and The Australian Journal of Language and Literacy.
- Pascoe, B, 2007, Convincing ground: learning to fall in love with your country, Aboriginal Studies Press, Canberra.
- Pascoe, B, 2012, Fog a dox, Magabala Books, Broome.
- Pascoe, B, 2014, Dark Emu, Magabala Books, Broome.
- Mayor, T, Smiler, R, Campbell, S, 2021, Freedom day, Hardie Grant Children's Publishing (can be accessed onsite at the Library).
- Whittaker, A, 2020 Fire front: First nations poetry and power today, University of Queensland Press, Queensland.
- Shoemaker, A, 2008, Hard dreams and indigenous worlds in Australia’s North, Hecate Jounral, vol 34, issue 1, pp 55-62,187 (must be a Library member).
- Kinsella, J, Green, C, 2018 False claims of colonial thieves, Magabala Books, Australia (must be a Library member).
This event is delivered in partnership with Blak & Bright First Nations Literary Festival and supported by Wheeler Education.