Free access to thousands of online databases & eresources
Access to meeting rooms & creative technology studios
Personalised options when you use the catalogue
Option to order copies and extracts of collection items
Access to more than five million collection items within the Library.
Access is at the heart of our membership.
State Library Victoria has always been free, and it continues to be freely available to all Victorians.
Join our free Access membership to unlock a treasure-trove of knowledge through access to thousands of e-resources and more than five million books, photos, artworks, maps and more within the Library.
Plus, enjoy access to our expert librarians who are readily available to help answer your questions and offer research guidance.
Sign up today to become part of the member community at Australia’s oldest and busiest public library.
Please note: Due to an upgrade to our catalogue, signing up for a new membership is currently unavailable. Please return on Wednesday 24 August to become a member.
more membership options
Want more from your Library experience? We’ve got you covered.
Build on your Access membership and enhance your experience with our Cultural, Family, Student or StartSpace memberships.
Each of these memberships includes all the benefits of Access, plus:
- Discounted Wilson parking (see full details)
- 10% off food and beverage at Mr Tulk cafe (excluding happy hour)
- 10% off full-priced books at Readings State Library
- 10% off food and beverage at South Wharf Promenade restaurants (view full details)
- Early-bird booking access to select programs
- Member-only emails with exclusive offers
- Reciprocal rights at the National Library of Australia and State Library of New South Wales (view full details)
- A free subscription (for Cultural members) or a discounted subscription (for Family and Student members) to the La Trobe Journal print edition.
Priority to book the best seats at select programs & events
Behind-the-scenes experiences, curator talks and VIP tours
Invitation to an annual exhibition event, with bubbles
Free three-month digital subscription to The Saturday Paper.
Ground floor coworking area with desks, wi-fi, whiteboards & workshop space
Room for meetings & client pitches with screen & teleconferencing facilities
StartSpace programming, including training, workshops, mentoring & networking
Up to 68 hours access per week to bring your business idea to life
Every membership supports us to build the state collection and ensure the Victorian community continues to have free access to vital cultural and education resources – today and into the future.
Find out more ways you can support the work we do.
Have questions or feedback about Membership, or need a hand joining up? Contact our friendly staff by sending us your inquiry. You can also email or phone, or talk to us when you visit the Library.