Library launches summer forecourt festival
Thursday 28 January 2021
Victorians returning to the CBD will be rewarded with a mammoth month of free outdoor entertainment and activities at State Library Victoria for Library on the Lawn, a COVID-safe celebration of summer launching today until 28 February.
Transforming the Library’s beloved forecourt into an urban oasis, Library on the Lawn will see outdoor beanbags set up daily under a canopy of umbrellas and two festival weekends throughout February featuring a blockbuster line-up for all ages.
Djirri Djirri, the only Wurundjeri female dance group will feature with an indigenous dance workshop, along with live performances from hip hop artist Mantra; award-winning comedian, Josh Earl; ARIA, Grammy and Oscar nominated musicians in children’s group The Mudcakes; zine, book and comic-making, calligraphy and children’s craft workshops; DJ sets; face painting and so much more.
State Library Victoria CEO, Kate Torney said she was delighted to see the Library’s forecourt and lawn brought back to life after the COVID-induced hiatus of 2020.
“After the longest closure in the Library’s 165-year history, we can’t wait to welcome people back to the Library - and to our glorious forecourt - for this summer festival program,” said Ms Torney.
Beanbags and umbrellas will run daily from 10.00am – 6.00pm, and the coffee cart will run daily from 10.00am – 4.00pm.
The Library on the Lawn festival program will run from 10.00am – 4.30pm on:
• Saturday 6 February
• Sunday 7 February
• Saturday 20 February
• Sunday 21 February
All activities are free, but bookings are required.
Full program details available at slv.vic.gov.au/whats-on/library-lawn
Library on the Lawn full program:
Weekend one – 6 and 7 February:
10.30: Welcome dance by Djirri Djirri, suitable for ages 3 and over
- 11.00am: Indigenous dance workshop with Djirri Djirri, suitable for ages 3 and over
- 1.00pm: Spoken word and music by Joel McKerrow, suitable for ages 5 and over
- 1.30pm: Zine making workshop with Sticky Institute, suitable for ages 6-12
- 2.00pm: Hip hop performance by Mantra, suitable for ages 5 and over
- 3.00pm: Slam poetry showcase with Emilie Zoey Baker and teen poets, suitable for ages 5 and over
- 3.30pm: Kids hip hop lyric writing workshop with Mantra, suitable for ages 12 and over
- 10.00am: Baby Bounce with Julianne, suitable for ages 18 months and under
- 10.30am: Library workshop: Make a cuneiform tablet with clay, suitable for ages 6-12
- 11.30am: Comedy show by Josh Earl, suitable for ages 5 and over
- 12.00pm: Letter writing, envelope art and stamp design workshop with Melanie Knight, suitable for ages 6-12
- 1.00pm: Dance music by DJ Hot Wheels, suitable for ages 3 and over
- 2.00pm: Old book collaging and drawing workshop with Tai Snaith, suitable for ages 5 and over
- 3.00pm: Percussion performance by Mighty Duke and the Lords, suitable for ages 3 and over
Bookings for weekend one via slv.vic.gov.au/whats-on/library-lawn-festival-weekend-one
Weekend two – 20 and 21 February:
- 10.30am: Storytime with the Library, suitable for ages 3 - 5
- 11.00am: Hanging mobile workshop with Emma Grace, suitable for ages 8 and over
- 12.30pm: Kids music performance by the Mudcakes, suitable for ages 8 and under
- 1.30pm: Monster pot workshop with Emma Grace, suitable for ages 8 -12
- 2.30pm: Dance music by DJ Andrew McClelland, suitable for ages 3 and over
- 3.30pm: Medieval calligraphy workshop, suitable for ages 6-12
- 4.30pm: BBQ-punk music performance by The Burnt Sausages, suitable for ages 3 and over
- 10.00am: Storytime with the Library, suitable for ages 3-5
- 10.30am: Recycled crowns workshop with Georgina Humphries, suitable for ages 4 and over
- 11.30am: Interactive comic strip workshop with Bernard Caleo, suitable for ages 3 and over
- 12.30pm: Bibliotherapy with Susan McLaine, suitable for ages 10 and over
- 12.30pm: Design and produce your own book workshop, suitable for ages 6-12
- 2.00pm: Music and dance performance by Real Youth Music Studios, suitable for ages 3 and over
- 3.00pm: Letter writing, envelope art and stamp design workshop with Melanie Knight suitable for ages 5 and over
- 3.30pm: Music performance by Georgia Fields, suitable for ages 3 and over
Bookings for weekend two via slv.vic.gov.au/whats-on/library-lawn-festival-weekend-two