Vision 2020 appeal
Your support for the Library's Vision 2020 redevelopment project helped us to build a Library for the future.
This ambitious transformation has now been completed, opening up 40% more public space, adding 70% more seating, providing access to renewed public spaces and returning previously closed spaces to public use.
Fundraising continues to be a priority and your support is vital to grow and conserve our collections, lead the sector in digital library developments, and be a centre for creativity and knowledge.
We continue to welcome your donations to support the Library.
About Vision 2020
Since opening in 1856, the Library has provided a special place where all Victorians can enjoy access to information, and engage with collections that describe our past and inspire possibilities for our future.
For more than 160 years we have constantly adapted our services, spaces and technology to meet the changing needs of our community.
Vision 2020 has been part of our ongoing evolution. The donations we received through our Vision 2020 appeal enabled us to reinvigorate the Library by creating additional services and experiences, including:
- The Ian Potter Queen’s Hall – the Library's original reading room has been magnificently restored and returned to public use after being closed for 16 years
- Victoria Gallery, endowed by the John and Myriam Wylie Foundation – this new world-class exhibition space features the inaugural Velvet, Iron, Ashes exhibition
- Pauline Gandel Children’s Quarter, supported by Gandel Philanthropy – a purpose-built space for children and families to read, learn and play, with an associated program of activities
- Conversation Quarter, endowed by the Hansen Little Foundation – with in-built state-of-the-art technology to live-stream events and programs across the state and around the world
- Ideas Quarter – featuring StartSpace, a centre enabled by the Christine Christian Foundation, dedicated to nurturing and developing entrepreneurs and the creative community
- Create Quarter – space for group study and access to creative technology studios.