Webinar: resetting permanent skilled migration after the pandemic
Before COVID-19, Australia was one of the world’s most open countries for migration. But pandemic travel restrictions have brought migration to a standstill.
Watch this joint State Library Victoria and Grattan Institute webinar, where a panel of experts discuss how Australia’s permanent skilled migration program – which selects migrants for their long-term economic potential – should change when borders reopen.
What should Australia look for when granting permanent residency to skilled migrants? Should permanent skilled migration continue to try to make up for skills shortages? And has the recent shift in the intake towards business investment and Global Talent visas – which now account for two in five permanent visas issued – been a mistake?
Explore our reading list on the topic to continue your learning.
About the speakers
- Gabriela D'Souza is Senior Economist at the Committee for Economic Development of Australia (CEDA), where she predominantly conducts research on migration policy in Australia.
- Henry Sherrell is Migration Policy Fellow at the Grattan Institute. Before joining Grattan, he worked as an independent researcher focusing on Australian and international migration policy.
About the moderator
- Danielle Wood is CEO of Grattan Institute and head of their Budget Policy and Institutional Reform Programs. Danielle has published extensively on economic reform priorities, budget policy, tax reform, generational inequality, and reforming political institutions.
About the Policy Pitch
In this engaging seminar series a panel of experts and thinkers tackle some of the most important problems facing Australia, from cultural hot-button topics to pressing social concerns. Join us for lively, intelligent and thoughtful debate on subjects that impact us all.
The Policy Pitch is a joint initiative of State Library Victoria and Grattan Institute, an independent think tank dedicated to developing high-quality public policy for Australia’s future.
Watch past webinars
- Watch The Policy Pitch on net zero by 2050, will transport be a lister or a leaner?
- Watch The Policy Pitch on the future of the National Energy Market.
- Watch The Policy Pitch on female workplace participation.
- Watch The Policy Pitch on how Australia can recover from COVID-19.