The La Trobe Journal No 107 November 2022
In this issue of the La Trobe Journal, we dive into the Library’s collections to reflect on the things that have grounded us in difficult times: our homes, gardens, families, stars, art and literature.
John Gregory takes a fresh look at the Howard Arkley archive and Sue Walker investigates William Shum’s editorship of Australian Home Beautiful. We look to the skies with Patrick Ferry’s tale of a WWII crash in North Melbourne, William Tobin’s forensic research into photographs of a Transit of Venus expedition, and a glimpse into Handmade Universe. Ruth Lawrence’s research on the nineteenth-century ‘Washbourne album’ of photographs of Aboriginal families from North-East Victoria illuminates a new date that will help future generations trace their histories. And our librarians share their insights on valuable items in our collection, including a first edition of James Joyce’s Ulysses, Edna Walling’s rarely-seen photographs, and the eccentric and striking work of artist Vali Myers.
Access full-text articles from No. 107 below or purchase your hard copy from Readings online.
- 1 Front cover and front pages (pdf,1.34 MB)
- 2 John Gregory - Mining the Howard Arkley Archive (pdf,1.86 MB)
- 3 Toni Burton and Fiona Jeffery - Vali Myers: Australian artist (pdf,1.84 MB)
- 4 Olga Tsara - Edna Walling's pictures (pdf,1.19 MB)
- 5 Sue Walker - The Australian Home Beautiful and William Shum, editor, 1926–46 (pdf,1.51 MB)
- 6 Fellow and librarian - a partnership of discovery (pdf,140.21 KB)
- 7 Patrick Ferry - When the war descended upon the suburbs: the North Melbourne air crash, 1943 (pdf,1 MB)
- 8 Kevin Molloy - A note on State Library Victoria's first edition copy of James Joyce's Ulysses (pdf,483.08 KB)
- 9 A library of the future: StartSpace (pdf,1.72 MB)
- 10 Everybody has a place: curating stories from the first 40 years of Fringe (pdf,581.67 KB)
- 11 A world of benefits: State Library Victoria membership (pdf,223.13 KB)
- 12 Every stitch is a second: the labour and love behind new acquisitions and commissions (pdf,647.6 KB)
- 13 William Tobin - Photographs from the 1874 German Transit of Venus Expedition to the Auckland Islands (pdf,1.39 MB)
- 14 New acquisitions from the Women Writers Fund help redress imbalance in the State Collection (pdf,417.4 KB)
- 15 Ruth E Lawrence - Thomas Jeston Washbourne's photographs of Indigenous Australians (pdf,892 KB)
- 16 Notes and contributors (pdf,97.11 KB)
- 17 Support SLV and back cover (pdf,1.08 MB)