The Cowen Gallery catalogue
Author: Michael D Galimany
Publisher: State Library Victoria
Available to read in the Library
This beautifully illustrated catalogue provides a comprehensive guide to the artworks exhibited in the Library's Cowen Gallery.
Originally built as the Stawell Gallery in 1892 for the National Gallery of Victoria, and subsequently used by the National Museum, the Cowen Gallery was renovated and reopened to the public in November 2003.
It houses a permanent exhibition of 150 paintings and sculptures from the Library's Pictures Collection, the oldest visual documentary collection in Australia.
Author Michael D Galimany was the first curator of the Cowen Gallery, and worked at the Library for 13 years.