Story Island: an adventure in pictures tours Victorian public libraries
This is an archived media release. Links were correct at the time of publication, but may have changed or expired.
Friday 29 April 2016
State Library Victoria announces Story Island: an adventure in pictures, a beautiful touring exhibition and reading experience for young children designed to promote early literacy skills and the joy of children and parents reading together.
Travelling to public libraries throughout Victoria from June 2016 – January 2018, Story Island draws from the world-renowned Scholastic Dromkeen Children’s Literature Collection held at State Library Victoria, and brings together works from some of Australia’s favourite children’s book authors and illustrators to create a visually striking and interactive exhibition.
Story Island features four custom-made pods which evoke stories of the bush, the city, bath and bed time and offer children a space for reading, imaginative sharing, learning and exploring stories and pictures together with their parents or carers.
State Library Victoria CEO, Kate Torney, said she was delighted to work with Public Libraries Victoria Network to bring this exhibition to Victorian libraries.
"This special exhibition is a lovely experience for children and parents. It also gives parents and carers good ideas for how to develop a child’s literacy from infancy, which is so important. It's a fine example of the critical work public libraries do in fostering a love of books and reading in children."
Throughout the exhibition questions and activities are suggested to encourage discovery and exploration with friends and family. The exhibition is also accompanied by a children's exhibition booklet and activities for children and carers as-well-as book lists for children 0-8 years.
Story Island: an adventure in pictures opens at Realm (Ringwood) Library on 10 June and will travel to twelve regional libraries and galleries across Victoria until 20 January 2018.
- Realm (Ringwood) Library 10 June – 23 July 2016
- Glenroy Library 29 July – 10 September 2016
- Yarram Library 16 September – 29 October 2016
- Wonthaggi Library 5 November – 13 December 2016
- Frankston Library 19 December – 4 February 2017
- Braybrook Community Hub 10 February – 25 March 2017
- Warracknabeal Library 31 March – 13 May 2017
- Newcomb Library 19 May – 8 July 2017
- Kerang Library14 July – 26 August 2017
- Castlemaine Library 1 September – 14 October 2017
- Craigieburn Library 20 October – 2 December 2017
- Sunshine Library 8 December 2017 – 20 January 2018
Story Island: an adventure in pictures is a joint initiative of State Library Victoria and Public Libraries Victoria Network.
The exhibition is free.
For further information visit slv.vic.gov.au/story-island