The following information pertains specifically to your privacy and the Library's websites.
Anonymous access to this website
The Library website can be accessed and browsed without disclosing your personal information.
Collection & use of personal information
The Library website does not collect or use personal information except that which you freely provide through online forms, comments or as part of a request. The Library collects personal information necessary for it to manage and administer these functions and services including:
- Library memberships, registrations, general inquiries and orders
- accessing the Library’s catalogue and collections
- tickets to paid and free events
- participation in research, competitions, surveys and feedback
- participation in programs, exhibitions and tours
- contributing comments to our blogs
- fundraising, donations, memberships and related transactions and administration
- commercial management and venue hire
- recording and responding to online interactions between the Library and community on social media channels and other multimedia
- receiving information and subscribing to (e)newsletters and other communications about Library events, programs and activities.
The Library may in some circumstances, for the necessary performance of its functions, transfer personal information or information collected from users outside Victoria to the servers of third-party organisations.
We will only record your email address if you complete an online form or send us a message. It will only be used for the purposes for which you have provided it and will not be added to a mailing list unless specifically requested. You can unsubscribe or opt-out of our mailing lists at any time. We will not use your email address for any other purpose except with your consent.
Personal information will only be used for the purpose for which you provided the information and will not be disclosed to third parties, except where we have your consent; where we are authorised or compelled by law to do so; or otherwise in exceptional circumstances.
When users visit Library websites, web servers automatically capture and log data, which includes:
- IP address
- top-level domain name (for example, .com, .au, .gov)
- date and time of site visit
- pages accessed
- files downloaded
- address of last site visited
- browser type and version.
Security of your personal information
There are risks associated with transmitting information over the internet. The Library implements various mechanisms to protect the security and integrity of personal information. While the Library strives to protect the security of information, unfortunately no data transmission can be guaranteed as completely secure. If you are concerned about transmitting sensitive information to the Library over the internet, you may prefer to contact us by mail or via telephone.
Links to other sites
Our websites may contain links to other websites not operated by the Library which may be of interest to you. The Library is not responsible for the privacy practices of such sites and it is recommended that you familiarise yourself with those websites' privacy policies.
Gaining access to personal information & correction
You may apply to the Library to access, correct or update your personal information. Please contact the Privacy Officer (Corporate Governance Advisor):
State Library Victoria
328 Swanston Street
Melbourne Vic 3000