01 January 2021–31 December 2021
|Bookings||Bookings not required. Tel 03 8664 7099 for more information.|
Please note: The Library's Dome galleries aren't open yet, but you can continue to explore our galleries and exhibitions online.
About the exhibition
Discover the people, places and events that have shaped Victoria. Encounter explorers, gain insights into life on the goldfields, and explore life in Victoria in the 20th and 21st centuries from Bells Beach to Black Saturday.
More than 220 new items from across our collections are now on display in The changing face of Victoria exhibition.
- artefacts from infamous Australian bushranger Ned Kelly, including the Jerilderie letter
- maps, drawings and testimonials from the passenger ships of the gold rush, plus WFE Liardet’s newly restored watercolour View of the north shore, Port of Melbourne 1862
- packaging, fashion illustrations and advertising posters from Manton’s of Bourke Street and Georges of Collins Street, exploring Melbourne retail trade in the early twentieth century
- photographs from the ’70s and ’80s of Bells Beach, capturing the crowds and surfers of the famous Rip Curl Surf Pro surfing competition
- artworks by John Gollings and Peter Wegner exploring the devastating Black Saturday bushfires.