The La Trobe Journal No 92 December 2013
The first two articles in this issue of the La Trobe Journal commemorate the centenary of the Dome Reading Room, opened on 14 November 1913 by the Governor-General of Australia.
The issue also includes articles on Melbourne memorials to Redmond Barry, the founding of the Melbourne Mechanics' Institution, and other aspects of Victorian history. All of the articles showcase items from the Library's outstanding collections.
Hard copies of this issue can be purchased for $29.95 from Readings Bookshop at the Library or through their online shop.
- [Front matter] (pdf,88.24 KB)
- Editor's introduction (pdf,47.27 KB)
- Miles Lewis – Building the Dome: an illustrated account (pdf,5.6 MB)
- Harriet Edquist – 'An architecture to excite an interest': grand visions for Melbourne's public library (pdf,200.58 KB)
- Sue Reynolds – Remembering Redmond Barry, 1813-2013: Melbourne memorials (pdf,185.69 KB)
- Dave Phoenix – Every Hour, On the Hour, From Sun Up 'til Sun Down: William Brahe and the establishment of central Australia's... (pdf,246.16 KB)
- Anne Marsden – Gentlemen Versus Players: public squabbling over the membership of the foundation committee of the Melbourne... (pdf,479.22 KB)
- James P Lesh – Land Boom Advertising: a socio-spatial mapping of the 1885 subdivision of Cremorne (pdf,417.08 KB)
- Rachel Solomon –The Victorian Diaries of a Welsh Swagman (1869-1894) (pdf,380.04 KB)
- Dennis Bryans – 'A Tolerable Interpreter': Robert Bell and the Chinese on the Ballarat goldfields (pdf,472.61 KB)
- Colin Holden – Melbourne Modern Versus Sydney Picturesque?: tales of two cities in print, 1891-1934 (pdf,434.34 KB)
- Chris Elmore – Recording an Illustrious Past: extracts from Robert Bage's Antarctic diary (pdf,515.05 KB)
- [Back matter] (pdf,400.54 KB)