Opening hours & getting here
Each year we welcome over a million visitors to our glorious heritage building in Melbourne's CBD. If you're planning a visit, here's when we're open, how to get here and our printable Library map (pdf, 141 KB).
Vision 2020 redevelopment
We're currently transforming your Library's spaces and services through our Vision 2020 redevelopment project. The Library will remain open throughout the project, but there will be changes to some spaces as work proceeds. Areas that are temporarily closed are marked on the map. To find out what's happening, visit Vision 2020.
Library opening hours
- Main public areas
- Monday to Thursday 10am–9pm
Friday to Sunday 10am–6pm
- Heritage Reading Room
- Daily 10am–6pm;
until 9pm on Wednesday
- The Courtyard
- As part of our Vision 2020 redevelopment work, the Courtyards are closed and our regular children and family programs will take a break. The Courtyards will reopen in spring 2019.
- Dome Galleries
- Daily 10am–6pm;
until 9pm on Thursday
Note: Due to elevated construction noise, from Wednesday 17 October until mid-December the La Trobe Reading Room and Dome Galleries will be closed every day except Sundays, public holidays and builders' rostered days off. Find out more.
- Cowen Gallery, including
North and South Rotundas
- Same as main Library except when closed for functions. The North Rotunda is currently closed.
- Mr Tulk cafe
- Monday to Thursday 7am–5pm, Friday 7am–8pm
Saturday and Sunday 9am–4pm
- Guild Cafe
- Monday to Thursday 10am–8.30pm, Friday to Sunday 10am–5.30pm
- Readings State Library
- Daily 10am–6pm. Note: Readings is now located in the Russell Street Welcome Zone.
Public holidays in 2018
Melbourne Cup: open until 6pm, Tuesday 6 November.
Christmas period: closed Tuesday 25 December (Christmas Day) and Wednesday 26 December (Boxing Day).
From Thursday 27 December to Monday 31 December we are open until 6pm. Standard opening hours resume on Wednesday 2 January 2019.
Public holidays in 2019
New Year's Day: closed Tuesday 1 January.
Australia Day: open until 6pm, Monday 28 January.
Labour Day: open until 6pm, Monday 11 March.
Easter period: closed Good Friday, 19 April. Open as usual Saturday 20 April and Sunday 21 April. Open until 6pm, Monday 22 April.
Anzac Day: open until 6pm, Thursday 25 April.
Queen's Birthday: open until 6pm, Monday 10 June.
AFL Grand Final: open as usual Friday 4 October.
Melbourne Cup: open until 6pm, Tuesday 5 November.
Christmas period: closed Wednesday 25 December (Christmas Day) and Thursday 26 December (Boxing Day).
From Friday 27 December to Tuesday 31 December we are open until 6pm.
New Year's Day: closed Wednesday 1 January 2020.
Standard opening hours resume on Thursday 2 January 2020.
Please note: our free guided tours of exhibitions and Library spaces do not run on public holidays.
We're located on the corner of Russell and La Trobe streets, Melbourne. Note: The Swanston Street entrance will reopen in spring 2019.
- Train – Melbourne Central station is directly opposite the Library's Swanston Street entrance. Country travellers can transfer to metropolitan trains at Southern Cross or North Melbourne stations.
- Tram – there are tram stops near our entrances on Swanston Street and La Trobe Street
- Bus – the nearest stops are in Lonsdale, Russell and Exhibition streets
See Public Transport Victoria for more information.
There are separated bike lanes in both directions on Swanston and La Trobe streets. You'll find bike racks on and near the corner of Swanston and La Trobe streets, Swanston and Little Lonsdale streets. See the City of Melbourne website for more information.
The Library doesn't have on-site parking, but there is paid street parking on La Trobe Street and several pay car parks close by, including at Melbourne Central and QV. There are three parking spaces for people with a disability permit in La Trobe Street.