$170 per group (up to 25 students)
Terms 1 & 2: 50 students; Terms 3 & 4: 25 students
This hands-on workshop for secondary students explores how authors have expressed themselves through art and self-publication from medieval times to today's contemporary scene.
Students will learn about artist books and zines, and practise zine-making techniques with an experienced educator to create their own take-home zine.
The program also includes a guided tour of the Library's World of the book exhibition.
- learn about the history and culture of self-publishing and independent publishing
- see examples of different writing and illustrative styles artists and authors have used to express themselves throughout history
- visit the World of the book exhibition, and discover a vast range of significant historical publications, artist books and zines from State Library Victoria's collection
- learn book and zine-making techniques and create their own zine
- visit the iconic domed La Trobe Reading Room.
This program links to the Victorian Curriculum and assists students to:
- create literary texts that reflect an emerging sense of personal style and evaluate the effectiveness of these texts (VCELT476)
- analyse, interpret and evaluate a range of visual artworks from different cultural, historical and contemporary contexts to explore differing viewpoints (VCAVAR046)
- synthesise information from multiple sources and use lateral thinking techniques to draw parallels between known and new solutions and ideas when creating original proposals and artefacts (VCCCTQ034).
Embark on a journey of discovery at the State Library
Held in the inspiring heritage setting of Australia's oldest public library, our school excursions offer students a uniquely immersive, enriching experience, encouraging return visits and life-long learning. The Library has provided free access to information and education since 1856, and we invite students to become part of history as they tour the breathtaking dome and view our historic collections. All tours and workshops are developed by experienced teachers, aligned to the Victorian Curriculum and facilitated by expert staff.
State Library Victoria is a Child Safe Organisation. Learn more about how we are working to ensure the wellbeing of children visiting the Library.