$170 per group (up to 25 students)
50 students. Note: programs do not run on Mondays.
This powerful program introduces students to practical research skills, tools and resources vital for VCE and beyond.
The State Library has an enormous variety of research material, most of which can't be found with a simple internet search. In this workshop, students will learn how to use the Library's online catalogue, explore our extensive range of free databases and discover subject-specific resources – all of which can be accessed from home.
Students will also go on an orientation tour, perfect for those who wish to return later to study onsite at the Library.
- be introduced to the research tools and skills essential for VCE and beyond
- learn to navigate vast collections, content and resources available through the Library
- take a guided Library orientation tour to become familiar with our services, spaces and resources
- receive a list of valuable resources to access from home.
This program links to the Victorian Curriculum and VCE, and assists students to:
- investigate the characteristics of effective questions in different contexts to examine information and test possibilities (VCCCTQ043)
- develop, refine and extend knowledge and skills in independent research and carry out an investigation; and evaluate evidence in order to answer a research question.
Thanks to our generous philanthropic partners, Victorian schools with an Index of Community Socio-Educational Advantage (ICSEA) ranking of less than 1000 may be eligible to receive funding towards program and transport costs. You can look up your school's score on the My School website.
The Library can offer limited bus funding reimbursements, and program waivers for up to four groups per booked excursion. This offer is available until funding has been exhausted.
If you would like to be considered for excursion funding, please add your details when completing the online booking form.
Embark on a journey of discovery at the State Library
Held in the inspiring heritage setting of Australia's oldest public library, our school excursions offer students a uniquely immersive, enriching experience, encouraging return visits and life-long learning. The Library has provided free access to information and education since 1856, and we invite students to become part of history as they tour the breathtaking dome and view our historic collections. All tours and workshops are developed by experienced teachers, aligned to the Victorian Curriculum and facilitated by expert staff.
State Library Victoria is a Child Safe Organisation. Learn more about how we are working to ensure the wellbeing of children visiting the Library.