9am–3pm (one-hour lunchbreak)
$23 per student (including morning tea); bursaries are available for eligible schools/students (details below)
180 students (workshops in groups of 25)
Date: Wednesday 28 March 2018
Subject: Australian history Unit 3: Transformations
The VCE Australian history day will inspire and empower students in their study of the Port Phillip District (1834–60), and enhance their VCE experience.
The program has been shaped by the key knowledge and key skills criteria for Area of Study 1 in the Australian History VCE curriculum.
- attend a keynote address from Koori Librarian Maxine Briggs on the topic of 'Victorian Aboriginal understandings of land and responses to the European settlement of the district'
- delve into the Library's collection and view rare and authentic sources from the Port Phillip District
- take part in an interactive research skills workshop led by State Library Victoria educators, and be introduced to a vast array of free online academic databases
- explore the Library's heritage spaces and the Changing face of Victoria exhibition, as part of a guided tour.
This program assists students to:
- use primary sources as evidence to analyse changes to the Port Phillip District
- compare the understandings of Victorian Aboriginal people and British colonisers about land management and ownership.
A limited number of bursaries are available for this program.
Eligible schools must be located more than 50km from the CBD or have an Index of Community Socio-Educational Advantage (ICSEA) ranking less than 1000.
Teachers can apply for bursaries on behalf of a class of students or nominate individual students.
Embark on a journey of discovery at the State Library
Held in the inspiring heritage setting of Australia's oldest public library, our school excursions offer students a uniquely immersive, enriching experience, encouraging return visits and life-long learning. The Library has provided free access to information and education since 1856, and we invite students to become part of history as they tour the breathtaking dome and view our historic collections. All tours and workshops are developed by experienced teachers, aligned to the Victorian Curriculum and facilitated by expert staff.