$320 per group (up to 25 students)
Note: this program will run until the end of 2017.
Between 1914 and 1918, more than 416,000 young Australians ventured around the globe in service to their country. Those who returned shared their stories through photographs, artefacts and personal diaries – many of which are now held in the Library's collection.
Unfolding history is an immersive, skill-enhancing research workshop that explores the significance of WWI by focusing on the personal experiences of Victorians involved in the conflict.
The workshop looks at generating questions of historical inquiry, and teaches powerful research techniques using online resources. The program culminates in the production of a short digital narrative about a research topic.
- learn about the significance of WWI on a guided tour of the Library's collections, including photographs, artefacts and other archival materials
- practise powerful research techniques using the Library's online catalogue and other databases
- generate questions of historical inquiry, consider different viewpoints and explore personal stories from WWI
- develop a short digital narrative about a chosen topic using the video-creation tool Animoto.
This program links to the Victorian Curriculum and assists students to:
- evaluate the historical significance of an event, idea, individual or place (VCHHC128)
- evaluate different historical interpretations (VCHHC125) and evaluate the accuracy, effectiveness and reliability of sources (VCHHC123).
Embark on a journey of discovery at the State Library
Held in the inspiring heritage setting of Australia's oldest public library, our school excursions offer students a uniquely immersive, enriching experience, encouraging return visits and life-long learning. The Library has provided free access to information and education since 1856, and we invite students to become part of history as they tour the breathtaking dome and view our historic collections. All tours and workshops are developed by experienced teachers, aligned to the Victorian Curriculum and facilitated by expert staff.