$170 per group (up to 25 students)
Program changes in 2018
In 2018, the Research skills workshop will run in terms 1 and 2, with a capacity of 50 students (two groups) at a time. This is due to our exciting Vision 2020 redevelopment project.
Encourage your students to become critical, creative and independent researchers with this hands-on workshop.
Students will be introduced to the Library's onsite and online resources through a guided tour of our unique spaces and a session in our computer lab, where they will gain essential research skills.
Students will focus on a compelling story from the Library's collection, generating research questions and exploring a variety of reliable online sources.
- take part in a facilitated hands-on workshop in our computer lab, generating powerful questions for research and exploring online resources
- be introduced to essential research skills applicable to any subject area
- explore the Library's unique heritage spaces, including the iconic La Trobe Reading Room, on a guided tour
- become familiar with the Library's spaces, services and resources through exploring the information centre, newspaper reading room and Redmond Barry Reading Room.
This program links to the Victorian Curriculum and assists students to:
- acquire data from a range of sources and evaluate their authenticity, accuracy and timeliness (VCDTDI037)
- analyse and corroborate sources and evaluate their usefulness and reliability (VCHHC099/122).
Embark on a journey of discovery at the State Library
Held in the inspiring heritage setting of Australia's oldest public library, our school excursions offer students a uniquely immersive, enriching experience, encouraging return visits and life-long learning. The Library has provided free access to information and education since 1856, and we invite students to become part of history as they tour the breathtaking dome and view our historic collections. All tours and workshops are developed by experienced teachers, aligned to the Victorian Curriculum and facilitated by expert staff.