$170 per group (up to 25 students)
Encourage your students to become critical, creative and independent researchers with this hands-on workshop.
Students will be introduced to the Library's onsite and online resources through a guided tour of our unique spaces and a facilitated workshop, where they will gain essential research skills.
Students will focus on a compelling story from the Library's collection, generating research questions and exploring a variety of reliable online sources.
- take part in a facilitated hands-on workshop with a focus on generating powerful questions for research and exploring online resources
- be introduced to essential research skills applicable to any subject area
- explore the Library's unique heritage spaces, including the iconic La Trobe Reading Room, on a guided tour
- become familiar with the Library's spaces, services and resources through exploring the information centre, newspaper reading room and Redmond Barry Reading Room.
This program links to the Victorian Curriculum and assists students to:
- acquire data from a range of sources and evaluate their authenticity, accuracy and timeliness (VCDTDI037)
- analyse and corroborate sources and evaluate their usefulness and reliability (VCHHC099/122)
- examine a range of learning strategies and identify how to select strategies that best meet the requirements of a task (VCCCTM041)
- consider how problems can be segmented into discrete stages, new knowledge synthesised during problem-solving, and criteria used to assess emerging ideas and proposals (VCCCTM042).
Embark on a journey of discovery at the State Library
Held in the inspiring heritage setting of Australia's oldest public library, our school excursions offer students a uniquely immersive, enriching experience, encouraging return visits and life-long learning. The Library has provided free access to information and education since 1856, and we invite students to become part of history as they tour the breathtaking dome and view our historic collections. All tours and workshops are developed by experienced teachers, aligned to the Victorian Curriculum and facilitated by expert staff.
State Library Victoria is a Child Safe Organisation. Learn more about how we are working to ensure the wellbeing of children visiting the Library.