free for eligible schools, includes transport costs
50 students (2 groups of 25) per day
Research launch pad is a free, full-day excursion (including transport) for Year 7 students from eligible schools in greater Melbourne.
During this interactive program, students will be introduced to fascinating collection items on a guided tour of the Library's historic spaces.
Students will choose one item to explore in depth and embark on a research quest in pairs to create a digital narrative using Animoto – an easy-to-use video-creation platform.
Places are limited, so book early to avoid missing out!
- take a guided tour of the Library's unique heritage spaces, including the iconic La Trobe Reading Room
- select and apply a range of techniques to support critical thinking, applicable to a variety of subject areas
- use reliable online sources to support a collaborative research investigation
- create a digital narrative using the video-creation platform Animoto.
This program links to the Victorian Curriculum and assists students to:
- consider how to approach and use questions that have different factual, temporal and conceptual elements (VCCCTQ032)
- consider a range of strategies to represent ideas and explain thinking processes to others (VCCCTM040)
- evaluate the role and achievement of a significant individual, development and/or cultural achievement that led to progress (VCHHC104).
To be eligible for this free full-day excursion, your school needs to have an Index of Community Socio-Educational Advantage (ICSEA) rating of less than 1000 and be within 50km of State Library Victoria, 328 Swanston Street, Melbourne.
To check your school's ICSEA rating, visit the My School website and go to your school's profile page. You will find the ICSEA score in the 'Student background' section on the right of the screen.
For more information, please email email@example.com or call 8664 7555.
Embark on a journey of discovery at the State Library
Held in the inspiring heritage setting of Australia's oldest public library, our school excursions offer students a uniquely immersive, enriching experience, encouraging return visits and life-long learning. The Library has provided free access to information and education since 1856, and we invite students to become part of history as they tour the breathtaking dome and view our historic collections. All tours and workshops are developed by experienced teachers, aligned to the Victorian Curriculum and facilitated by expert staff.
State Library Victoria is a Child Safe Organisation. Learn more about how we are working to ensure the wellbeing of children visiting the Library.