$130 per group (up to 25 students)
50 students. Note: programs do not run on Mondays.
Ned Kelly armour
Please note: Ned Kelly's armour will be removed from The changing face of Victoria exhibition on 11 February 2019 to undergo preparation for display in our new Victoria Gallery, which will open in late May 2019.
Australia's most notorious bushranger has split public opinion for more than a century – he is a cold-blooded murderer to some and a hero to others.
How did the events of early European settlement shape Ned Kelly's attitudes and turn this charismatic young man to crime?
Students dig deep into the turbulent life of Ned Kelly on this guided tour of the Library's collection and explore different perspectives to draw their own conclusion on the controversial question about Ned Kelly: was he a hero or a villain?
- explore the Library's unique heritage spaces, including the iconic La Trobe Reading Room, on a guided tour
- view significant Ned Kelly artefacts in The changing face of Victoria exhibition, including his Jerilderie letter
- consider different perspectives of colonial life in Victoria by examining a variety of items in the Library's collection
- generate questions and draw conclusions about controversial historical events.
This program links to the Victorian Curriculum and assists students to:
- identify the different perspectives of people from the past (VCHHC124) and evaluate different historical interpretations and contested debates (VCHHC125)
- analyse sources and ask questions about their accuracy, usefulness and reliability (VCHHC099)
- investigate when counter examples might be used in expressing a point of view (VCCCTR037).
Embark on a journey of discovery at the State Library
Held in the inspiring heritage setting of Australia's oldest public library, our school excursions offer students a uniquely immersive, enriching experience, encouraging return visits and life-long learning. The Library has provided free access to information and education since 1856, and we invite students to become part of history as they tour the breathtaking dome and view our historic collections. All tours and workshops are developed by experienced teachers, aligned to the Victorian Curriculum and facilitated by expert staff.
State Library Victoria is a Child Safe Organisation. Learn more about how we are working to ensure the wellbeing of children visiting the Library.