$150 per group (up to 25 students)
Program changes in 2018
In 2018, the Medieval calligraphy workshop will have a capacity of 100 students (four groups) at a time in terms 1 and 2, and 50 students (two groups) in terms 3 and 4. This is due to our exciting Vision 2020 redevelopment project.
Primary students explore the medieval world of parchment paper, coloured powders and gold leaf in this hands-on calligraphy experience.
Dating back to the 5th century, the art of calligraphy flourished in the medieval age and required precise craftsmanship. In this creative workshop, students will become calligraphers – learning how to write decorative medieval scripts using calligraphy pens and make their own illuminated manuscripts based on Latin text.
Students will also explore the history of medieval manuscripts while touring the World of the book (formerly Mirror of the world) exhibition.
- discover how illuminated manuscripts were produced in medieval times
- create their own illuminated manuscript using calligraphy pens and uncial script
- explore the Library's unique heritage spaces, including the iconic La Trobe Reading Room, on a guided tour
- view medieval manuscripts in the World of the book exhibition.
This program links to the Victorian Curriculum and assists students to:
- analyse the cause and effects of developments in the written word and book-making in the medieval period (VCHHHK117)
- identify and connect specific features of visual artworks from different cultures, historical and contemporary times (VCAVAR039).
Embark on a journey of discovery at the State Library
Held in the inspiring heritage setting of Australia's oldest public library, our school excursions offer students a uniquely immersive, enriching experience, encouraging return visits and life-long learning. The Library has provided free access to information and education since 1856, and we invite students to become part of history as they tour the breathtaking dome and view our historic collections. All tours and workshops are developed by experienced teachers, aligned to the Victorian Curriculum and facilitated by expert staff.