Inspired by our Mirror of the world exhibition, secondary students make their own illuminated manuscript in this creative and fun workshop.
$130 per group (up to 25 students)
In this hands-on workshop, secondary students explore the history of medieval manuscripts and view a range of primary sources in our Mirror of the world exhibition.
Inspired by the exhibition's displays, students create their own illuminated manuscript page, learning how to write in decorative medieval script using calligraphy pens.
Students also gain an understanding of the Library's role in collecting historic books and manuscripts, and experience first-hand our heritage building's unique architecture and legacy.
- take a short tour of the Mirror of the world exhibition
- view rare manuscripts and other treasures in the Library's collection
- explore the history of writing
- learn how illuminated manuscripts were produced
- create their own illuminated manuscript using calligraphy pens and Uncial script
- be inspired by the domed La Trobe Reading Room from the level 5 gallery level
This program links strongly to the Victorian Curriculum, history, and is relevant to Years 7–8.
This program assists students to:
- describe the broad patterns of change over the period from the ancient to the modern world
- identify and explain patterns of continuity and change in society influenced by the presence of books
- understand the significance and importance of conserving the remains and heritage of the past
Embark on a journey of discovery at the State Library
Held in the inspiring heritage setting of Australia's oldest public library, our school excursions offer students a uniquely immersive, enriching experience, encouraging return visits and life-long learning. The Library has provided free access to information and education since 1856, and we invite students to become part of history as they tour the breathtaking dome and view our historic collections. All tours and workshops are developed by experienced teachers, aligned to the Victorian Curriculum and facilitated by expert staff.