$170 per group (up to 25 students)
Program changes in 2018
In 2018, this program will be rested due to our exciting Vision 2020 redevelopment project.
A living library is more than just books on shelves – it is a unique space where everyone is welcome to unearth stories, raise questions, find inspiration and create ideas.
Take your secondary students on an engaging multimodal trail around the Library's stimulating galleries and exhibition spaces to gain an understanding of the significance of the Library's role in collecting and preserving Victoria's history.
During the workshop, students will create a memento of their visit to the Library by producing an ebook inspired by the discoveries they make during the tour.
- explore the Library's unique heritage spaces, including the iconic La Trobe Reading Room, on a guided tour
- document their journey around the Library with photographs and create imaginative captions using a variety of language conventions
- curate their own living library exhibition using the Book Creator app
- understand the Library's role in documenting Victoria's history and its cultural value to Victorians past, present and future.
This program links to the Victorian Curriculum and assists students to:
- experiment with the ways language and images can be adapted (VCELT477) to create imaginative texts (VCELT478)
- experiment with materials, techniques, technologies and processes to express ideas, concepts and themes (VCAVAV035).
Embark on a journey of discovery at the State Library
Held in the inspiring heritage setting of Australia's oldest public library, our school excursions offer students a uniquely immersive, enriching experience, encouraging return visits and life-long learning. The Library has provided free access to information and education since 1856, and we invite students to become part of history as they tour the breathtaking dome and view our historic collections. All tours and workshops are developed by experienced teachers, aligned to the Victorian Curriculum and facilitated by expert staff.