$130 per group (up to 25 students)
Temporary change to tour format
Due to the closure of the La Trobe Reading Room and Changing face of Victoria exhibition during our Vision 2020 redevelopment work, this tour will follow a different format until mid-December 2018.
Bring your students on a journey through Victoria's oldest and busiest public library.
For more than 160 years, State Library Victoria has been a place for ideas, discussion, collaboration and learning. This guided tour demonstrates how the Library operates and reveals some of our unique collection items.
Students will discover how different sources of information can be found in a variety of places, and learn how the State Library differs from public and school libraries.
This tour provides an invaluable opportunity for students to become independent library users, now and in the future.
- take a guided tour of the Library's unique heritage spaces, including the iconic La Trobe Reading Room
- visit our information centre, newspaper reading room and the Redmond Barry Reading Room
- discover the Library's services and spaces, and learn how the Library operates
- learn about the Library's significant role in documenting the history of Victoria.
This program links to the Victorian Curriculum and assists students to:
- identify and form links and patterns from multiple information sources to generate non-routine ideas and possibilities (VCCCTQ023)
- investigate the characteristics of effective questions in different contexts to examine information and test possibilities (VCCCTQ043).
Embark on a journey of discovery at the State Library
Held in the inspiring heritage setting of Australia's oldest public library, our school excursions offer students a uniquely immersive, enriching experience, encouraging return visits and life-long learning. The Library has provided free access to information and education since 1856, and we invite students to become part of history as they tour the breathtaking dome and view our historic collections. All tours and workshops are developed by experienced teachers, aligned to the Victorian Curriculum and facilitated by expert staff.
State Library Victoria is a Child Safe Organisation. Learn more about how we are working to ensure the wellbeing of children visiting the Library.