allow 60 minutes
50 students (in supervised groups of 12)
Temporary change to tour format
Due to the closure of the La Trobe Reading Room and The changing face of Victoria exhibition during our Vision 2020 redevelopment work, this tour will follow a different format until mid-December 2018.
This hour-long, self-guided journey introduces students at all levels to the Library's unique heritage spaces, from exhibitions in the Dome Galleries to aerial views from the top floor of the iconic La Trobe Reading Room.
See treasures such as Ned Kelly's armour, Batman's deed and the Shakespeare stained-glass window on this self-paced tour.
- explore the Library's unique heritage spaces, including the iconic La Trobe Reading Room
- visit our newspaper reading room and the Redmond Barry Reading Room
- view significant artefacts, artworks and other historical materials up close in The changing face of Victoria and World of the book exhibitions
- learn about the Library's significant role in documenting the history of Victoria.
This program links to the Victorian Curriculum and assists students to:
- evaluate the historical significance of an event, idea, individual or place (VCHHC128)
- analyse and corroborate sources and evaluate their accuracy, usefulness and reliability (VCHHC123)
- identify and form links and patterns from multiple information sources to generate non-routine ideas and possibilities (VCCCTQ023).
Embark on a journey of discovery at the State Library
Held in the inspiring heritage setting of Australia's oldest public library, our school excursions offer students a uniquely immersive, enriching experience, encouraging return visits and life-long learning. The Library has provided free access to information and education since 1856, and we invite students to become part of history as they tour the breathtaking dome and view our historic collections. All tours and workshops are developed by experienced teachers, aligned to the Victorian Curriculum and facilitated by expert staff.
State Library Victoria is a Child Safe Organisation. Learn more about how we are working to ensure the wellbeing of children visiting the Library.