$150 per group (up to 25 students)
Program changes in 2018
In 2018, the Great journeys of exploration workshop will have a capacity of 100 students (four groups) at a time in terms 1 and 2, and 50 students (two groups) in terms 3 and 4. This is due to our exciting Vision 2020 redevelopment project.
Take your students on a journey into the past with this interactive mapping workshop that uncovers how explorers imagined the mysterious Great Southern Land and why adventurers journeyed here.
In this hands-on program, students will be introduced to some of the important early maps of Australia held in our collection, and have the chance to practise their cartography skills by creating and decorating their own maps. Students will also visit the iconic La Trobe Reading room on a tour of the Library.
- examine and identify different features in maps from the Library's collection
- learn how Indigenous Australians and Europeans recorded information about the landscapes around them
- take a guided tour of the Library's unique heritage spaces, including the iconic La Trobe Reading Room and World of the book (formerly Mirror of the world) exhibition
- activate their imaginations and create their own maps.
This program links to the Victorian Curriculum and assists students to:
- identify and explain the causes and effects of European settlement and exploration (VCHHC070)
- interpret maps and other geographical data and information to develop identifications, descriptions, explanations and conclusions using geographical terminology (VCGGC076).
Embark on a journey of discovery at the State Library
Held in the inspiring heritage setting of Australia's oldest public library, our school excursions offer students a uniquely immersive, enriching experience, encouraging return visits and life-long learning. The Library has provided free access to information and education since 1856, and we invite students to become part of history as they tour the breathtaking dome and view our historic collections. All tours and workshops are developed by experienced teachers, aligned to the Victorian Curriculum and facilitated by expert staff.