$130 per group (up to 25 students)
Term 4: 50 students
Temporary change to tour format
Due to the closure of the La Trobe Reading Room and The changing face of Victoria exhibition during our Vision 2020 redevelopment work, this tour will follow a different format until mid-December 2018.
On a tour through the Library's unique heritage spaces, students take an in-depth look at our collection to develop an understanding of how European settlement impacted the Aboriginal people of Victoria and their land.
Students will use a range of primary sources (artworks, explorer books and John Batman's infamous treaty), visual thinking skills and their own viewpoints to present a range of questions about the past.
- learn about significant Indigenous leaders and European settlers in colonial Victoria
- view artefacts, documents and other historical materials up close in The changing face of Victoria exhibition
- use visual thinking skills and their own viewpoints to pose analytical questions about the past
- explore the Library's unique heritage spaces, including the iconic La Trobe Reading Room, on a guided tour.
This program links to the Victorian Curriculum and assists students to:
- identify and explain the causes and effects of European settlement and exploration (VCHHC070)
- understand the nature of contact between Indigenous communities in Victoria and European settlers, and the effects of these interactions (VCHHK081)
- explore reactions to a given situation or problem and consider the effect of pre-established preferences (VCCCTQ011).
Embark on a journey of discovery at the State Library
Held in the inspiring heritage setting of Australia's oldest public library, our school excursions offer students a uniquely immersive, enriching experience, encouraging return visits and life-long learning. The Library has provided free access to information and education since 1856, and we invite students to become part of history as they tour the breathtaking dome and view our historic collections. All tours and workshops are developed by experienced teachers, aligned to the Victorian Curriculum and facilitated by expert staff.
State Library Victoria is a Child Safe Organisation. Learn more about how we are working to ensure the wellbeing of children visiting the Library.