$170 per group (up to 25 students)
Combined program: The life and times of Ned Kelly tour & Kelly Gang comics workshop
Pairing elements of The life and times of Ned Kelly tour with a Kelly Gang comics workshop, this program uncovers the realities of life in colonial Victoria and explores the events that shaped Ned Kelly's life.
Students will take a tour of the Library's vast collection, followed by a workshop where they will retell aspects of the infamous bushranger's story by creating a digital comic.
Throughout the program, students will consider a variety of historical perspectives on this controversial figure from Victoria's history.
- explore the Library's unique heritage spaces, including the iconic La Trobe Reading Room
- view significant Ned Kelly artefacts in the Changing face of Victoria exhibition, including Ned Kelly's armour
- learn about key events in Ned Kelly's life and consider different historical perspectives
- write a historical narrative using digital storytelling techniques and create their own comic using the Comic Life app
- question historical sources and apply critical thinking skills when considering significant events.
This program links to the Victorian Curriculum and assists students to:
- analyse the different perspectives of people in the past (VCHHC100/124) and evaluate the accuracy and reliability of different historical sources (VCHHC099/123)
- create imaginative and informative texts that integrate visual and print features (VCELY449)
- consider a range of strategies to represent ideas and explain and justify thinking processes to others (VCCCTM040).
Embark on a journey of discovery at the State Library
Held in the inspiring heritage setting of Australia's oldest public library, our school excursions offer students a uniquely immersive, enriching experience, encouraging return visits and life-long learning. The Library has provided free access to information and education since 1856, and we invite students to become part of history as they tour the breathtaking dome and view our historic collections. All tours and workshops are developed by experienced teachers, aligned to the Victorian Curriculum and facilitated by expert staff.