$130 per group (up to 25 students)
Program changes in 2018
In 2018, the Batmania tour will have a capacity of 25 students (one group) at a time in terms 1, 2 and 3, and 50 students (two groups) in term 4. This is due to our exciting Vision 2020 redevelopment project.
On a guided tour, secondary students will explore early Melbourne's rich history through a variety of artworks, artefacts and architectural icons.
Students will unlock the city's stories as they come face-to-face with Batman's deed, William Barak's portrait, Ned Kelly's armour and more, providing unparalleled access and insight into Melbourne's history.
- take a guided tour of the Library's unique heritage spaces, including the iconic La Trobe Reading Room
- view artefacts, documents and other historical sources in the Cowen Gallery and the Changing face of Victoria exhibition
- learn about important historical figures from Victoria's past, such as John Batman, William Barak and Ned Kelly
- gain an understanding of the Library's role in collecting and documenting Victoria's history.
This program links to the Victorian Curriculum and assists students to:
- analyse the cause and effect of significant events that affected the social, cultural and economic development of Victoria (VCHHC086/103/127) and their impact on Aboriginal communities in Victoria (VCHHC085/86)
- describe perspectives and identify ideas, beliefs and values of people in the past (VCHHC084/100/124) and evaluate the roles of significant Victorians (VCHHC104).
Embark on a journey of discovery at the State Library
Held in the inspiring heritage setting of Australia's oldest public library, our school excursions offer students a uniquely immersive, enriching experience, encouraging return visits and life-long learning. The Library has provided free access to information and education since 1856, and we invite students to become part of history as they tour the breathtaking dome and view our historic collections. All tours and workshops are developed by experienced teachers, aligned to the Victorian Curriculum and facilitated by expert staff.