Plan a school visit
Planning to bring a school group for a visit to the Library?
All schools visiting the Library must book a facilitated program or self-guided session. Discover our school programs.
Preparing for your visit
We ask all visitors to help maintain a COVID-safe environment.
COVID-Safe Information for Schools
Here are some of the measures we have in place to ensure you and your students have a fun and safe experience when visiting the Library:
- Visitors are required to check in using the Service Victoria app and will be asked to provide proof of vaccination, either with a digital certificate linked to the Service Vic app or a printed copy of their vaccination certificate with identification.
- It is recommended that visitors wear a fitted face mask if are unable to safely distance from others.
- Students under the age of 12 are strongly advised to wear a mask during their visit.
- Hand hygiene facilities are available throughout the Library building.
- Students and staff should continue to be vigilant and remain home if feeling unwell.
- Teachers are responsible for ensuring all attendees adhere to the Library's Conditions of Entry and are required to keep a record of all attending students for contact tracing requirements.
The Library's entrance is the Swanston Street Welcome Zone, on Swanston Street. Free, temporary bus parking is available in the 30-minute bus parking bay adjacent to Door 3, outside the Library’s conference centre and theatrette, on La Trobe Street.
Note: please warn students to be alert when stepping off the bus, as they will need to cross a bike lane to reach the footpath.
Day parking for buses is available on Russell Street, either just north of La Trobe Street or just north of Bourke Street. Additional parking is available on Mackenzie Street, near the corner of Russell and La Trobe streets.
Food & baggage
Food and drink are not allowed inside the Library; see our food and drink policy for more information. If the weather is fine, the Library's front lawn and forecourt is recommended for recess and lunch breaks.
We recommend that on the day of your excursion, students do not bring large school bags if possible – please see our baggage policy for more information.
Cameras are permitted provided a flash isn't used.
State Library Victoria is a Child Safe Organisation. Learn more about how we are working to ensure the wellbeing of children visiting the Library.