Book a self-guided school visit
Please note: The Library is temporarily closed. Our onsite self-guided and facilitated school bookings are currently unavailable. Don’t forget you can still book for our online programs.
Planning to bring a school group for a visit to the Library?
The Library now offers timed sessions for self-guided school groups to explore our magnificent spaces, exhibitions and collections in COVID-safe numbers.
Due to capacity requirements, bookings are essential for all school groups.
Each session goes for one hour, with one ticket equal to one school group of up to 50 students.
To help maintain a COVID-safe experience, schools are asked to meet the following requirements when visiting the Library:
- separate students into small groups of up to five during your visit
- adult supervision is required for each small group of students in prep to year eight
- all adults must check in via the Services Victoria QR code upon entry
- masks must be worn indoors at all times by anyone aged 12 years and over
- maintain safe physical distance of 1.5 meters from other visitors
- due to limited capacities, rotate one small group at a time through each space
- in consideration of other bookings, please remain within the allocated session time
- students remain the responsibility of teachers at all times while at the Library
- teachers are to keep a record of all attending students for contact tracing purposes.
Looking for a staff-facilitated workshop? Discover our onsite and online school programs.
On the day of your visit
Group leaders are to see staff in the Swanston Street Welcome Zone on arrival, who will assist in checking in your school booking.
Due to occupancy requirements, students are to divide into small groups of up to five when entering and exploring the Library.
We ask all visitors to help maintain a COVID-safe environment. For more information please refer to the Library’s Conditions of Entry.
State Library Victoria is a Child Safe Organisation. Learn more about how we are working to ensure the wellbeing of children visiting the Library.
The Library's entrance is the Swanston Street Welcome Zone, on Swanston Street. Free, temporary bus parking is available in the 30-minute bus parking bay adjacent to Door 3, outside the Library’s conference centre and theatrette, on La Trobe Street.
Note: Please warn students to be alert when stepping off the bus, as they will need to cross a bike lane to reach the footpath.
Day parking for buses is available on Russell Street, either just north of La Trobe Street or just north of Bourke Street. Additional parking is available on Mackenzie Street, near the corner of Russell and La Trobe streets.
Food & baggage
Food and drink are not allowed inside the Library; see our food and drink policy for more information. If the weather is fine, the Library's front lawn and forecourt is recommended for recess and lunch breaks.
Students will need to carry their schoolbags into the Library – please see our baggage policy for more information.
Cameras are permitted provided a flash isn't used.