1000 Books Before School
Did you know that reading together is the best way to encourage a love of books and lay down foundational literacy skills in your child?
The 1000 Books Before School program is a great way to track your child's reading progress. You can start any time until your child begins school, and your child has until the end of term 1 of the year they start school to finish reading.
If your local public library runs the program you may wish to register with them. Alternatively, you can register for the program with State Library Victoria.
How to register with State Library Victoria
- Complete and submit an online registration form for each participating child. We'll confirm your details and send you a welcome email.
- Welcome packs will be sent out in the mail. These include your first reading record sheets and stickers. (You can also download and print reading record sheets from the bottom of this page.)
- Once you have reached a milestone in your Reading Record (at 100, 250, 500, 750 or 1000 books), please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can post a milestone prize to you.
- When your child reaches 1000 books, or starts school, the program is completed. Congratulations!
How to use the reading record sheets
The program begins for your family on the day you register.
Use the record sheets to keep track of your child's reading progress. You can start counting books from the day you register (but not any books you read before that!).
Each time you complete a book with your child:
- update your printed reading record with a sticker, or
- mark your electronically saved PDF by clicking on the book number to automatically generate a star symbol.
Add a mark to your reading record any time that your child completes or actively listens to an entire book.
This includes library books, your own books, friends' books, eBooks, audio books, books that someone else reads to your child, books that your child listens to at a Storytime session or at kinder or playgroup.
Repetition is important for learning. If you read the same book 10 times, you make 10 marks in the reading record.
If you have any questions about the program, contact us at email@example.com or on 03 8664 7555.