Quick guide to using our catalogue
Use this handy quick guide to find your way around our catalogue. A printable version is available for download at the bottom of this page.
Searching the catalogue
Type in keywords for titles, authors or subjects. Select 'Advanced search' to enable more precise searching.
Limiting your search
Use the drop-down menu at the right-hand-side of the search box to limit your search to one of the following:
- Everything except articles – all of the Library’s material, except articles.
- Articles – journal, magazine and newspaper articles from many of the databases the Library subscribes to; also see our A-Z databases menu.
- Books etc – includes ebooks, pamphlets, sheet music and more. Excludes maps, pictures and manuscripts.
- eBooks – downloadable electronic books.
- Journal and newspaper titles – print and online journals and newspapers.
- Pictures and photographs – paintings, sketches, posters and photos; many are available online.
- Maps – maps, charts, plans and atlases; many are available online.
- Manuscripts – unpublished papers, letters and diaries; also includes lists that describe the contents of Manuscript collections.
- Multimedia – audio and video recordings and streamed content.
- Find on shelf – items available on the open shelves in the Library's reading rooms.
- Online – includes ejournals, ebooks, websites, streaming audio and video, digitised material.
Refining search results
Use the right-hand-side 'scope' filters to refine your search results based on subject, resource type/format, publication date or State Library collection, among others. Click on an item’s title to see full details including request, email, print or export options.
Use your Library account to request and renew items, view your filled requests (current and past), and access saved items and searches. You’ll need your Library member details to sign in.
Click 'Sign in' and enter your State Library member number and family name.
When you are signed in, your name will display. If you are not signed in you will see the label ‘Guest’.
To open your account, click on your name and then click ‘My account’.
See an item you want to explore later? Click on the pin icon to the right of your search item to save it as a favourite. (If you are not signed in, pinning favourites will only last for the current session.)
To save a search, click the ‘Save search/Set an alert’ button in the black bar above the search results.
You must sign in to your account to request items from onsite storage.
- Click on the title.
- Go to the 'Availability' section at the top of the page. This shows your request options and the available issues/copies for this title.
- If multiple locations are available, choose ‘Request from onsite storage’.
- You will have the option to either ‘Request for today’ or ‘Request for another day’.
- Items requested for today will be delivered to the Redmond Barry Reading Room within 30 minutes. Requests placed after 5.30pm will be available the next day.
- When you request items for another day, please specify a delivery date.
- All requested items can be picked up from the collection shelves in the Redmond Barry Reading Room, Level 2A.
- Items are only available for use in the Library.