Volunteer Greeter: position description
Volunteer Greeters are stationed alongside staff at Library entry points to help welcome visitors, provide directions, escort visitors to where they need to go, and refer questions to Library staff as required.
Location: State Library Victoria, 328 Swanston Street, Melbourne.
About this role: Please read this Volunteer Greeter position description (also available as a PDF download at the bottom of this page) for details about this role, and read our Volunteer with us page for important information about volunteering at the Library.
For more information: Please contact Lee Wong, Volunteer Advisor, on (03) 8664 7060 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
What you’ll do
1. Provide exceptional visitor experiences.
2. Provide a warm greeting to visitors as they enter and exit the Library.
3. Proactively assist Library visitors to identify Library services, programs and the areas of the Library they can use for different purposes.
4. Personally escort visitors around the Library.
5. Answer basic queries and refer policy and reference questions to Library staff.
6. Confidently communicate and connect with people of all ages and backgrounds.
7. Encourage visitors to spend time in the Library, using a positive attitude to point out features of interest and provide advice on things to do in the time visitors have to spend in the Library.
8. Be an active ambassador for the Library and tourism in the City of Melbourne.
9. Become familiar with the Library building and the Vision 2020 redevelopment project, and maintain a satisfactory level of competence as a Greeter, including active participation in ongoing training and development and evaluation as required.
10. Participate in a regular roster (one three-hour shift per fortnight).
What we’re looking for
1. Interest and/or experience in a cultural or customer/visitor service environment.
2. Ability to engage with people in a friendly, professional manner and to make them feel welcome.
3. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to listen, ask questions, and communicate clearly and confidently.
4. Well-developed cross-cultural communication skills and ability to connect with diverse Library visitors.
5. The ability to speak a second language will be well regarded.
6. Availability to undertake three full days of induction in April and May 2020. The dates are:
- Wednesday 22 April
- Saturday 16 May
- Monday 18 May.
7. Availability to volunteer for three hours per fortnight (daily from 9.35am to 12.35pm, or from 12.30pm to 3.30pm) for a minimum period of 12 months.
8. Be aware of and behave in accordance with all relevant Library policies and procedures.
What we’ll provide
- a structured induction including visitor service training
- ongoing training to support visitor service
- access to State Library Victoria volunteer events
- access to the Billabong, our spacious staff and volunteer tearoom, with lockers and free tea and coffee
- discounts at Mr Tulk and Guild cafes and Readings bookshop at the Library
- discounted Friends of the Library membership
- the opportunity to become part of a strong community of volunteers and staff at one of Australia’s leading cultural institutions.
State Library Victoria is a Child Safe Organisation. If offered a volunteer role, a valid Working with Children Check will be required before commencing. Working with Children Checks are free for volunteers.
The Library also reserves the right to introduce police checks at a future date. Continued engagement as a Library volunteer will be subject to a satisfactory police check in accordance with role requirements, laws and Library policies applicable at that time.
Predominant physical requirements of this role:
- walking/moving around the Library during the three-hour shift
- standing/remaining stationary at Library entry points during the three-hour shift
- some general computer use.
How to apply
Please complete and submit this online application form by 9am on Monday 2 March 2020 to apply for a Greeters position.
(Please note: if you are applying to volunteer at the Library for the first time, you will need to register and provide required contact information before you can submit the online application form.)
If you are unable to apply online, or have difficulties accessing the information or lodging your application, please contact Susan McLaine, Visitor Services Volunteer Coordinator, on (03) 8664 7215 or email@example.com.