Discover a world of benefits and become part of the member community for Australia’s oldest public library.
Free membership is at the heart of our member community and available for all Victorians. Unlock a treasure-trove of knowledge through access to thousands of e-resources and more than five million books, photos, artworks, maps and more with our free Access membership.
If you're looking for extra benefits to support your study, family or cultural interests, enhance your experience with one of our tailored membership options. Choose the membership that best suits how you like to use the Library.
Scratching your head for gift ideas?
Gift your nearest and dearest with a State Library Victoria Family, Cultural or Student membership – your pass to the heart of the action at the Library.
Explore exhibitions, get access to exclusive experiences and be first in line for the Library’s upcoming events.
Access is at the heart of our membership.
State Library Victoria has always provided free knowledge, and membership is freely available to all Victorians.
Join our free Access membership to unlock the following benefits:
- thousands of e-resources including journals, databases, ebooks, newspapers and music (many of these can be accessed by Victorian residents from home)
- more than five million books, pictures, maps, photographs, letters, manuscripts, comics, newspapers and more
- personalised options when you use our online search catalogue
- access to meeting rooms and creative technology studios at the Library
- ability to order digital copies and extracts of Library items, including pictures.
If you were already a Library card holder, you now have Access membership.
Free access to thousands of online databases & eresources
Access to meeting rooms & creative technology studios
Personalised options when you use the catalogue
Option to order copies and extracts of collection items
Access to more than five million collection items.
Tailored memberships for unique experiences
Want more from your Library experience? We’ve got you covered.
Build on your Access membership and enhance your experience with our Cultural, Family or Student memberships.
Each of these memberships include all the benefits of Access, plus:
- 10% off food and beverage at Mr Tulk cafe (excluding happy hour)
- 10% off all full-priced books at Readings State Library
- 10% off food and beverage at South Wharf Promenade restaurants (view full details)
- Early-bird booking access to select programs
- Member-only emails with exclusive offers
- Reciprocal rights at the National Library of Australia, State Library of NSW and Geelong Regional Library (view full details)
- A free subscription (for Cultural members) or a discounted subscription (for Family and Student members) to the La Trobe Journal print edition.
Priority to book the best seats at select programs & events
Behind-the-scenes experiences, curator talks and VIP tours
Invitation to an annual exhibition event, with bubbles
Free three-month digital subscription to The Saturday Paper.
Got an idea for a new business but unsure where to start? Start at StartSpace.
StartSpace is a startup community for people starting out in their business development journey.
If you have an idea or the very beginnings of a business, StartSpace can help you make it happen.
You'll meet and work alongside a community of people who are at the same stage as you, providing an invaluable opportunity to exchange ideas, build networks and form partnerships.
Ground floor coworking area with desks, wi-fi, whiteboards & workshop space
Room for meetings & client pitches with screen & teleconferencing facilities
StartSpace programming, including training, workshops, mentoring & networking
Up to 68 hours access per week to bring your business idea to life
Every membership supports us to build the state collection and ensure the Victorian community continues to have free access to vital cultural and education resources – today and into the future.
Find out more ways you can support the work we do.
Have questions or feedback about Membership, or need a hand joining up? Contact our friendly staff by sending us your inquiry. You can also email or phone, or talk to us when you visit the Library.