Discover a world of benefits and become part of the member community for Australia’s oldest public library.
Free membership is at the heart of our member community and available for all Victorians. Unlock a treasure-trove of knowledge through access to thousands of e-resources and more than five million books, photos, artworks, maps and more with our free Access membership.
If you're looking for extra benefits to support your study, family or cultural interests, enhance your experience with one of our tailored membership options:
- Hooked on art, cultural events and all things literary? Cultural members enjoy exclusive experiences and behind-the-scenes access.
- Need extra support to achieve your research and study goals? A Student membership ensures you get the most out of Library spaces, resources and experts.
- Have a curious little mind to occupy? Let them play, learn and get a little loud with a Family membership.
- Dreaming of running your own business but don't know where to start? Start with a StartSpace membership and join our startup community and business development program.
All tailored memberships (except for StartSpace) include the benefits of an Access membership.
Choose the membership that best suits how you like to use the Library.
Reward your curiosity with State Library Victoria membership
Be one of the first 200 people to sign up for a tailored membership and receive a limited-edition membership launch tote bag!*
Access is at the heart of our membership.
State Library Victoria has always provided free knowledge, and membership is freely available to all Victorians.
Join our free Access membership to unlock following benefits:
- thousands of e-resources including journals, databases, ebooks, newspapers and music (many of these can be accessed by Victorian residents from home)
- more than five million books, pictures, maps, photographs, letters, manuscripts, comics, newspapers and more
- personalised options when you use our online search catalogue
- access to meeting rooms and creative technology studios at the Library
- ability to order digital copies and extracts of Library items, including pictures.
If you were already a Library card holder, you now have Access membership.
Free access to thousands of online databases & eresources
Access to meeting rooms & creative technology studios
Personalised options when you use the catalogue
Option to order copies and extracts of collection items
Access to more than five million collection items.
Tailored memberships for unique experiences
Want more from your Library experience? We’ve got you covered.
Build on your Access membership and enhance your experience with our Cultural, Family or Student memberships.
Each of these memberships include all the benefits of Access, plus:
- 10% off food and beverage at Mr Tulk cafe (excluding happy hour)
- 10% off all full-priced books at Readings State Library
- Early-bird booking access to select programs
- Member-only emails with exclusive offers
- Reciprocal rights at the National Library of Australia, State Library of NSW and Geelong Regional Library (view full details).
Priority to book the best seats at select programs & events
Exclusive behind-the-scenes experiences, including VIP tours
Invitation to an annual members' event, with bubbles
Free three-month digital subscription to The Saturday Paper.
Two complimentary tickets for school holiday programs
Member-only experiences at select family programs & events
Member pricing on kids’ lunch packs at Mr Tulk cafe
Special offers from Library partners.
Career-building speaker & networking events
Guided Library induction with Library experts
Dedicated SWOTVAC student zone
Extended booking access to meeting rooms.
Got an idea for a new business but unsure where to start? Start at StartSpace.
StartSpace is a startup community for people starting out in their business development journey.
If you have an idea or the very beginnings of a business, StartSpace can help you make it happen.
You'll meet and work alongside a community of people who are at the same stage as you, providing an invaluable opportunity to exchange ideas, build networks and form partnerships.
Ground floor coworking area with desks, wi-fi, whiteboards & workshop space
Room for meetings & client pitches with screen & teleconferencing facilities
StartSpace programming, including training, workshops, mentoring & networking
Up to 68 hours access per week to bring your business idea to life
Already a member?
Readings Literary Preview: crime
Student member induction
Behind the scenes Library tours
Every membership supports us to build the state collection and ensure the Victorian community continues to have free access to vital cultural and education resources – today and into the future.
Find out more ways you can support the work we do.
*Tote bags will be available for collection from the Library from 1 April. If you are one of the first 200 members you will receive an email notification with details on how to collect your tote bag.
Have questions or feedback about Membership, or need a hand joining up? Contact our friendly staff by sending us your inquiry. You can also email or phone, or talk to us when you visit the Library.