The Garret podcast
Whether you're a book-lover or an aspiring author, tune into the Garret to hear interviews with writers on writing. Gain valuable insights into the craft and business of writing as some of Australia's best writers share their secrets.
Recorded at State Library Victoria, The Garret: Writers on writing podcast celebrates writers and writing, with in-depth interviews from Australia's most successful authors.
Some of the best writers in the business discuss the ins and outs of writing, from putting together a first draft of a book to marketing the finished product.
Each episode is accompanied by show notes and transcripts.
Averaging 45 minutes, the series of interviews feature a range of established writers including Kerry Greenwood, John Marsden, Graeme Simsion, AS Patric, Leigh Hobbs, Nikki Gemmell, Christos Tsiolkas, Don Watson, Alice Pung, Morris Gleitzman, Hannah Kent, Garth Nix and Thomas Keneally.
The interviews also feature editors, literary agents and publishing industry figures including Michael Webster, Morry Schwartz, Mark Rubbo, Michael Heyward and Kate Torney.
- Season 1 launched on 3 November 2016 and featured Victorian writers talking about their craft. The season was shortlisted for the inaugural Cast Away Australian Podcast Awards in early 2017.
- Season 2 launched on 2 March 2017 and featured leading writers from across Australia.
- Season 3 began in June 2017 and included an international writer.
- Season 4 ran to the end of 2017.
- The Garrett is now operating on a weekly schedule. The 50th episode featured an interview with the State Library CEO, Kate Torney, reflecting on how libraries are helping writers to write.
The Garret podcast is hosted by Astrid Edwards, Director of Strategy at Bad Producer Productions, and was co-founded with Nicolas Brasch, Chair of Writers Victoria, both teachers and practising writers.
The Garret celebrates Melbourne's UNESCO City of Literature status, and is presented in partnership with State Library Victoria, Readings, Writers Victoria, Swinburne University and the Australian Society of Authors.
Listen & subscribe
Listen now on the Garret website to hear the latest episodes, or interviews from earlier seasons. You can also watch behind-the-scenes videos.
Or, subscribe to the Garret podcast for free on iTunes.