Volunteer 'Welcome to the Library' tour guide: position description
Volunteer 'Welcome to the Library' tour guides conduct daily tours of the Library’s magnificent heritage, refurbished and new spaces that are part of our Vision 2020 redevelopment project.
Location: State Library Victoria, 328 Swanston Street, Melbourne.
About this role: Please read this Volunteer 'Welcome to the Library' tour guide position description (also available as a PDF download at the bottom of this page).
For more information: Please contact Linda Wheeler, Volunteer Coordinator, at email@example.com or call 03 8664 7447.
What you’ll do
1. Proactively greet and guide visitors on our new ‘Welcome to the Library’ tour, showcasing the new floorplan and spaces for public use.
2. Answer questions about the Library spaces and the collections, point out features of interest and otherwise engage visitors to help make their visit to the Library a memorable experience.
3. Become familiar with the history of the Library, the Library building and the Vision 2020 redevelopment project.
4. Confidently communicate with, and relate to, people of all ages and backgrounds.
5. Maintain a satisfactory level of competence as a tour guide, including active participation in ongoing training and development, independent research and broadening of your own knowledge base.
6. Be aware of and behave in accordance with all relevant Library policies and procedures.
7. Participate in a regular roster of tours (a minimum of two tours per month), take ad hoc booked tours and help cover vacant shifts where possible.
8. Have the opportunity to assist visitors at Library events such as curator talks, exhibition events and other community programs.
9. Promote Library services including membership of the Friends of the Library program.
What we’re looking for
1. Experience in leading tours, presenting to groups, teaching, theatre, performing or other background that would support your ability to deliver tours.
2. High-level communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate and connect with diverse Library visitors.
3. Availability and intention to conduct tours twice a month or weekly, attend regular training, learn material for new exhibitions and undertake independent study to support the delivery of tours.
4. Collaboration, enthusiasm and a positive attitude as an active team member.
5. Ability to speak a community language will be well regarded.
What we’ll provide
- a structured induction and ongoing training program
- support from an experienced tour guide buddy
- access to a program of guest speakers and specialist Library staff at regular volunteer events
- access to the Billabong, our spacious staff and volunteer tea-room, with lockers and free tea and coffee
- a State Library Victoria security pass
- discounts at Mr Tulk cafe and Readings book shop at the Library
- discount on Friends of the Library membership
- the opportunity to become part of a strong community of volunteers and staff at one of Australia’s leading cultural institutions.
Predominant physical requirements of this role:
- walking/moving around the Library for periods of at least one hour while delivering tours
- standing/remaining stationary at events for two-to-three-hour shifts
- some general computer use.
How to apply
Submit this online application form to apply for a volunteer 'Welcome to the Library' tour guide position.
(Please note: if you are applying to volunteer at the Library for the first time, you will need to register and provide required contact information before you can submit the online application form.)
If you are unable to apply online, or have difficulties accessing the information or lodging your application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 03 8664 7401. Your inquiry will be handled by a member of the People and Culture team.
Applications close at 5pm on Friday 27 July 2018.