Margery C Ramsay Scholarship
If you're employed in a Victorian public library, you can apply for a Margery C Ramsay scholarship valued at up to $15,000 to support your professional development.
The scholarship can be used for a broad range of development opportunities including:
- further education such as short courses in librarianship, management or leadership
- attendance at a conference or forum
- a secondment or internship
- visiting or studying library services in Australia or overseas
- investigating issues relevant and important to the future of Victorian public library services
The Margery C Ramsay and Barrett Reid scholarships are awarded in alternating years. The Barrett Reid Scholarship will be awarded in 2017.
About Margery C Ramsay
Margery C Ramsay was the first qualified librarian appointed to a public library service in country Victoria. She was appointed to the Ballarat library in 1946 and in 1950, under her guidance, the library became part of the Central Highlands Regional Library Service. This was one of the first regional library services in Victoria.
Margery moved to Tasmania in 1954, later working as librarian in charge of municipal library services. In 1968 she returned to Victoria as principal of the Library Training School. She was the State Library's deputy-principal librarian in 1969 and principal librarian from 1974 to 1981.
Margery died in 1998.
More to explore
- Margery C Ramsay Scholarship brochure (pdf,86.36 KB)
- Margery C Ramsay Scholarship application form (docx,24.4 KB)
- Margery C Ramsay Scholarship guidelines & FAQ (Word) (doc,81.5 KB)
- Margery C Ramsay Scholarship guidelines & FAQ (PDF) (pdf,83.83 KB)
- Margery C Ramsay Scholarship referee form (doc,50.5 KB)
- Margery C Ramsay Scholarship research ideas (Word) (doc,42.5 KB)
- Margery C Ramsay Scholarship research ideas (PDF) (pdf,32.54 KB)
- Margery C Ramsay Scholarship poster (pdf,67.86 KB)