Barrett Reid Scholarship
If you're employed in a Victorian public library, you can apply for a scholarship valued at up to $20,000 to support your professional development.
The scholarships can be used for a broad range of development opportunities including:
- further education such as short courses in librarianship, management or leadership
- attendance at a conference or forum
- a secondment or internship
- visiting or studying library services in Australia or overseas
- investigating issues relevant and important to the future of Victorian public library services
The Margery C Ramsay and Barrett Reid scholarships are awarded in alternating years. The Margery C Ramsay Scholarship will be awarded in 2018.
About Barrett Reid AM
From 1967 to 1982, Barrett Reid AM was executive officer of the State Library's Public Libraries division. He was a strong advocate of public library services and by the time he retired, 98 per cent of Victoria's 211 local councils provided public library services.
Barrett's influence was also seen in the Victorian government's policy of joint-use libraries between local government and schools. Technilib, the cataloguing services agency, was another of his achievements.
Barrett was made a Member of the Order of Australia in 1983. He died in 1995.