The La Trobe Journal No 98 September 2016
Issue 98, Collecting and commemorating, is a special issue of the La Trobe Journal, exploring the Library's WWI collections and featuring articles by current and former State Library staff, Creative Fellows and Library volunteers.
Focusing on the workings of the Library during the Great War, and efforts to honour the memory of staff who made the supreme sacrifice, the issue gives a sense of the depth and diversity of the Library's collections, and of how they enhance our understanding of WWI.
Edited by John Arnold and Ann Carew, the issue highlights the development of the Library's collections, including our outstanding archives of war pamphlets and posters, and personal items, from letters and diaries to billies and badges.
The issue complements the Victoria and the Great War special issue (No. 96).
- Front cover and inside front cover (pdf,164.16 KB)
- [Front matter] (pdf,1022.82 KB)
- Editorial (pdf,86.1 KB)
- Kevin Molloy – The Melbourne Public Library at war: 1914–18 (pdf,165.13 KB)
- Bronwyn Hughes – Yrs affectionately, Mont: the WWI correspondence of William Montgomery (pdf,263.51 KB)
- Jim Claven – The Sister Evelyn Hutt WWI Collection: an Australian nurse at war (pdf,230.46 KB)
- Ann Carew – Mr Sharman's album: University High School and the Great War (pdf,393.77 KB)
- Olga Tsara – WWI posters from the State Library Victoria collection (pdf,328.09 KB)
- John Lack, Steven Kafkarisos & Walter Struve: Great War pamphlets (pdf,257.23 KB)
- Lucy Bracey – Personal records of WWI: collection highlights (pdf,776.52 KB)
- Jo Oliver – From Harkaway to Amiens: Jessie Traill's war (pdf,302.09 KB)
- Kevin Molloy – From Kallista to Mont St Quentin: JG Roberts and the memory of the Great War (pdf,192.44 KB)
- John Arnold – Commemorating staff who served: the Great War honour board (pdf,161.6 KB)
- Gwen Rankin – Conflict on the home front: choosing the commemorative mural for the Library (pdf,122.95 KB)
- Ann Carew – Matchless son and brother: Eric Harding Chinner (pdf,155.16 KB)
- Shona Dewar – collecting WWI personal papers (pdf,282.72 KB)
- [Back matter] (pdf,258.95 KB)
- Back cover (pdf,84.6 KB)