Guidelines: State Library Victoria Fellowships
Objectives & outcomes
- The key objective of the fellowship program is to develop the Library as a centre of creative activity and research by encouraging the artistic and literary interpretation of collections unique to State Library Victoria.
- Fellows will be given the time, space and support to undertake innovative research.
- The program creates opportunities for the wider community to access the Library's collections through the outcomes of fellowship projects.
Outcomes from a fellowship project may include:
- publications, articles, programs or artworks arising from their work
- bringing people together to experience and celebrate their work through publications, performances, exhibitions, websites, screenings, talks and other events at the Library and other venues around Victoria
- new material for the Library collection
- submitting an article for the La Trobe journal.
Fellows will also:
- make at least one public presentation on their research process or the results of their research
- grant the Library the first right of publication in any format of the results of their research
- deposit with the Library a copy of any work produced
- provide relevant website content (eg blog posts or social media)
- provide regular updates of achievement to relevant State Library Victoria personnel
- be available for publicity purposes, including interviews with the media, to promote the results of the fellowship
- acknowledge the support of the Library, and use the branding of the Library in any publication or promotion
- submit a short report at the conclusion of the fellowship detailing the benefits of the experience.
What does a fellowship offer?
- A grant that can be used to assist with travel, research and living expenses.
- Space in a shared office accessible outside normal Library hours.
- Special access to collections and staff expertise.
- Honorary fellowships may also be awarded; these fellows receive the same benefits as funded fellows, without the monetary grant.
- Complimentary Friends of the Library membership for one year after the conclusion of their fellowship.
Can I apply?
- Applications are open to Australian residents in any discipline or form of expression.
- Digital media artists, visual artists, musicians and composers, writers in all disciplines and subjects, independent scholars and creators working either in collaboration or independently are eligible to apply.
- Projects that have already commenced, are supported by other funding bodies or are covered by a publishing contract are eligible.
- Academics with access to paid study leave as part of their employment conditions and projects that are supported by university-derived funding are not eligible for a funded fellowship, but may be eligible to apply for an honorary fellowship.
- Projects that are part of examination requirements towards a degree or similar qualification are not eligible.
- Previous recipients of a funded fellowship are not eligible to apply for a funded fellowship. However, they may apply for an honorary fellowship.
How are projects selected?
- Applications are read and shortlisted by Library staff according to the key criteria of significant use of or contribution to the Library collections, and original use of the Library collections.
- Shortlisted applications are provided to an independent selection panel, along with the complete list of all applications. Panel members are able to call into consideration applications that are not on the shortlist.
- The panel may recommend an honorary fellowship in place of a fellowship that carries a grant.
- Following the selection panel meeting, referees are contacted and applicants may also be requested to present at an interview.
- The selection panel's recommendation and a report are prepared for the Library Board of Victoria meeting.
- Following the acceptance of the offers of fellowships, unsuccessful applicants are advised by email.
What happens to my intellectual property?
- All copyright in the works created by a recipient during the course of a fellowship continues to vest in the creator.
Need more information?
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.