The State Library's fellowships program is one of the most substantial in Australia. Each year, the Library offers Creative Fellowships to encourage the original and imaginative use or development of the Library's collections for new work.
The Library also provides a number of specialist fellowships to support and recognise the importance of scholarly endeavour in areas ranging from children's literature and social history to the visual arts, theatre, 19th-century Victoria and Ukrainian studies. In 2017 a new Digital Fellowship was added to the program, to encourage innovative uses of the Library's digitised collections and data.
In 2018, for the first time, State Library Victoria is offering a specialist fellowship for researchers who identify as an Indigenous Victorian Aboriginal. This exciting opportunity aims to increase Aboriginal Victorians' access to cultural knowledge held in the Library's collections, by supporting researchers to identify important items and produce research material to be used by the community.
The fellowships are funded by the State Library Victoria Foundation and other program partners, and are awarded annually on the advice of independent expert panels.
Our 2018 fellowships program is now open
The following fellowships will be offered in 2018:
- Amor Residency at Baldessin Press & Studio
- Berry Family Fellowship
- Children's Literature Fellowship
- Creative Fellowships
- Digital Fellowship
- Georges Mora Fellowship
- Indigenous Victorian Aboriginal Cultural Research Fellowship
- John Emmerson Research Fellowship
- Redmond Barry Fellowship
- Ukrainian Studies Foundation in Australia Fellowship
- The following fellowships will not be offered in 2018:
- Russell Beedles Performing Arts Fellowship (biennial)
- La Trobe Society Fellowship (biennial)
- Centenary of WWI Fellowship (closed 2017)
Applications for the 2018 fellowships program will close at 6pm on Sunday 22 April 2018. Please see the individual fellowship pages for further information, guidelines and application forms.
- Read our media release.
- Come along to our fellowships program information night on Tuesday 20 February, 6pm in Experimedia.
- Visit our Library Fellows gallery to see examples of the wonderful work undertaken by past fellows and the innovative ways they have presented their research.