The Hon Linda Dessau AM, Governor of Victoria, delivers the first 2016 Big Ideas under the Dome lecture.
17 February 2016, 6:30pm–7:30pm
|Accessibility||Has wheelchair access|
The Hon Linda Dessau AM, Governor of Victoria, delivers the first 2016 Big Ideas under the Dome lecture on the topic 'Sport and the arts: from Ablett (Jnr) to Caravaggio'.
'It’s a paradox that when we live in a state that loves both sport and the arts, so many people seem to show discomfort in saying that they love them both. There is frequently an abyss of misunderstanding between two distinct camps: those who are devoted to sport, and those who love the arts. The real argument should be about why sport really matters and why the arts really matter and why both really matter.'
– The Hon Linda Dessau AM
About Big Ideas under the Dome
The Big Ideas under the Dome lecture series brings together great minds in the arts, culture, social justice and sciences to reflect on the big ideas and issues of our time.
Explore some of our past speakers here:
- Elizabeth Broderick on mens' role in gender equality
- Geoffrey Robertson on free speech
- Julian Burnside on Australia's asylum seeker response
- Maxine McKew on the state of Australian education
- Charles Leadbeater on innovation and creativity in education
- Tim Costello on our patch – is Victoria different?
- Lord Mayor Robert Doyle on the Melbourne story
- Malcolm Fraser: Does anyone want to be the 51st state of America?
- Peter Donnolly on genetics and healthcare